Blood on OUTSIDE of egg

LeeLeesFarm

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
So. California

Hello,
here's my question:

My 7 mos old, frizzle bantam hen started laying eggs, Jan 1/09.

She is laying every 2nd day.

Just today, in her little nest, I picked up her egg, and there was blood on the shell.

She is fine in every other way....no strange or sickly behaviour.

Is this just normal? Does it simply happen sometimes.

I did have chickens many yrs ago, and have never seen blood on the outside of the shell before.

Much thanks for any thoughts.

Lee

Normal for pullets at seven months. Their body will stretch to accomodate eggs soon. A pullets egg size vary at first from as small as a birds egg to large. Just wipe the egg with a damp paper towel. It is fine and so is she.

Our EE Sunshine laid her first bluish egg on Saturday and it had blood. 2nd one came today that was the same size without any blood. Common for pullets until the vent accommodates for the size of the eggs.

All of my new girls had a little blood on the outside when they first got started. After laying for a while it sort of stopped. Their bodies are still getting the hang of this laying thing!

thank you .....

the other eggs were clean, this was the first time the egg had any blood, so I wondered if something was wrong with her.

Today, we are back to a clean egg.....but I won't panic if I see blood again!

big_smile.png

Lee

same issues with my young hens the go really good and then there eggs get a little larger and there will be a smear or speck of blood poor lil ladies

Thanks so much for the info! My EE is 7 months and had a very bloody egg this morning. She has also had trouble with laying a soft egg. I guess she's just figuring out her laying strategy.

Back
Top Bottom