1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood ring and heartbeat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MelissaF, Nov 28, 2014.

1. MelissaF

MelissaF Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    I have an egg that ended up with a blood ring instead of veins. Was gonna toss it this morning when I noticed a heartbeat. I thought blood rings mean non viable? [​IMG]

2. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    A heart beat? I've never heard anyone say that..

How far along is it?

Blood ring means bacteria/death/not viable, but i don't think that's what I'm seeing.

I've only hatched once. I keep all eggs for a week, *after* I thought for sure, they wouldn't hatch while candling. I figured that would make it difficult to make a mistake.

I think three eggs "made it" to the end that I didn't allow to hatch. One had a blood ring, one some other Jupiter like spots. All three didn't look right for over a week, but they did have life moving inside! It became obvious to me that they were still not 'right'. They were way underdeveloped or something compared to the others. I could see no proper duck shape existed to hatch.

3. enriquec

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    Looks normal to me for an early stage candling. Mid, prob bad I'd wait. Late, bad.

I think there's a good guide in my sig but I kind of forgot what's there exactly for hatching and I can't see it on mobile site version.

This is good tho: http://www.metzerfarms.com/candling.cfm

4. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    It's about 5-6 days into incubation, the heartbeat showed up around the same time as my other hatched ones did.

5. enriquec

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    If there's a heart beat, I completely missed it. Online and candling.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about now. I believe it's not even recommended to candle until after 7 days

6. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    You've never seen a heartbeat? I have plenty of heartbeat videos from my past harches

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    (pic from http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2014/01/17/candling-chicken-eggs/, NOT MY PIC)

This is a great example of a blood ring. They typically go around the egg and form a very clear ring, though sometimes it doesn't go all the way around.

Chances are, if there is an embryo growing there, and you saw movement and a heartbeat, it's alive but likely won't make it far. The lack of veining shows the lack of proper development, therefore it won't thrive

8. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I know this post is a few months old, but I was wondering the outcome of this egg? I have a duck egg at day 6 incubation that looks just like this.

9. Susan10

Susan10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2015
    That's what a few of my eggs looked like on days 4-7 and on days 8-10 the spider veins became more visible. Give it some more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by