Blood ring and heartbeat?

MelissaF

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Nashua
I have an egg that ended up with a blood ring instead of veins. Was gonna toss it this morning when I noticed a heartbeat. I thought blood rings mean non viable?

A heart beat? I've never heard anyone say that..

How far along is it?

Blood ring means bacteria/death/not viable, but i don't think that's what I'm seeing.

I've only hatched once. I keep all eggs for a week, *after* I thought for sure, they wouldn't hatch while candling. I figured that would make it difficult to make a mistake.

I think three eggs "made it" to the end that I didn't allow to hatch. One had a blood ring, one some other Jupiter like spots. All three didn't look right for over a week, but they did have life moving inside! It became obvious to me that they were still not 'right'. They were way underdeveloped or something compared to the others. I could see no proper duck shape existed to hatch.

A heart beat? I've never heard anyone say that..

How far along is it?

Blood ring means bacteria/death/not viable, but i don't think that's what I'm seeing.

I've only hatched once. I keep all eggs for a week, *after* I thought for sure, they wouldn't hatch while candling. I figured that would make it difficult to make a mistake.

I think three eggs "made it" to the end that I didn't allow to hatch. One had a blood ring, one some other Jupiter like spots. All three didn't look right for over a week, but they did have life moving inside! It became obvious to me that they were still not 'right'. They were way underdeveloped or something compared to the others. I could see no proper duck shape existed to hatch.

It's about 5-6 days into incubation, the heartbeat showed up around the same time as my other hatched ones did.

If there's a heart beat, I completely missed it. Online and candling.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about now. I believe it's not even recommended to candle until after 7 days

If there's a heart beat, I completely missed it. Online and candling.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about now. I believe it's not even recommended to candle until after 7 days

You've never seen a heartbeat? I have plenty of heartbeat videos from my past harches

(pic from http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2014/01/17/candling-chicken-eggs/, NOT MY PIC)

This is a great example of a blood ring. They typically go around the egg and form a very clear ring, though sometimes it doesn't go all the way around.

Chances are, if there is an embryo growing there, and you saw movement and a heartbeat, it's alive but likely won't make it far. The lack of veining shows the lack of proper development, therefore it won't thrive

I know this post is a few months old, but I was wondering the outcome of this egg? I have a duck egg at day 6 incubation that looks just like this.

That's what a few of my eggs looked like on days 4-7 and on days 8-10 the spider veins became more visible. Give it some more time.

Back
Top Bottom