Blood Rings?

beckylein15

Chirping
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hello! đź‘‹

I am a newbie here and in the world of ducks. I got 9 khaki campbell eggs from a friend's farm. We are on day 10 of incubating. When we candled this evening, 4 of the eggs looked a bit suspicious to me and I would love a second (+) set of eyes. I think these are blood or bacteria rings or starts of them? - the photos seem much more obvious than looking in person. I always wash my hands before touching the eggs and the borrowed incubator was well cleaned when we started. 4 of the eggs were comparably pretty mucky when we got them. The cleaner ones seems to be doing very well.

The movement in these eggs is also just...different from the eggs that look well to me. There is independent movement of the duckling but as I turn the egg for the night, it's almost as if it is really free-floating around in there. I'm not sure how to describe it?

IMG_20200402_202501~2.jpg IMG_20200402_203141~2.jpg IMG_20200402_202325~2.jpg IMG_20200402_202922~2.jpg

They look a little strange to me to. But it looks like you have a duckling going in there. I don’t see a for sure blood ring in any of them. Are you seeing veins?

They were all well veined a few days ago when I checked in on them, and I can see ducklings in each of them. They are just very different in how they move and the veining is no longer as obvious in these ones as compared with the ones I think look healthy. And the odd lines around the floaty circle part containing the duckling appeared sometime between day 7 and now. I can't find anything that looks like it in all my googling!

I had some eggs this time around where the duckling vanished deeper into the egg and I couldn’t see it. But I still had veins. If you still have those I would leave them and check back on them in a few days to see if the veins are still there. Because I almost tossed out three eggs that did something similar. All three hatched this week. I put a question mark on them and watched them closely.

There's so much chatter about bad eggs exploding on the internet - is that a fear that is generally overstated?
It happens yes. But if you keep an eye on those ones you thought were bad you should be able to grab them as soon as they are for certain dead. My eggs looked similar to what you pictured but had veins I couldn’t see the veins in you picture which was why I asked. About 4-5 days later they looked pretty normal for eggs. Hopefully yours will do the same.

Back
Top Bottom