Blood Veins and Absorbed Yolk???

Saturday morning I finally decided to bring in a brood mate to this little chick I helped hatch. I hated to take one away from Molly Marans, my broody, but it was in everyone’s best interest...if it worked that is! She didn’t like it one bit either.

I got the smallest of the three and put ‘her’ in with Blackfoot, aka Slick. (My sidekick grandson gave ‘her’ the Indian sounding name because that’s how he distinguished her from Molly’s chick. I called her Slick simply because her head and face down are slicked back because of the coconut oil I used on the membrane.)

All went unbelievably well for which I was thankful! A lot of staring on the part of Slick because she had never seen another chick before and the usual toe pecking, from both. :love

Slick and Molly’s chick are not a lot different in size at all. That surprised me because there is a little over two days difference in age. Slick is so stubby looking compared to the other chick. She came from one of my Ameraucanas and is the only chick (out of 11) to have a pea comb. Her stubby booty makes her look like an Aracauna, but she does have a tiny tail. My almost 4 year old grandson loves our chickens and ducks and can be a tremendous help...at times! He always has their best interest at heart, as evidenced here when he picked up a piece of poop and told them that wasn’t good for them. 😂

I’ve been battling all last night and this morning over what I should do with these two chicks — raise them inside or try to give them back to Molly. Slick was not eating as good as I had really wanted to see, but I suppose things were rocking along well enough that I bit the bullet and took both of them out to Molly. Worst case scenario I would snatch one or both up if I saw any ill will toward them from Molly.

OMG was I ever surprised! Molly never acted in any way different than if they had both been with her the entire time...a huge answer to prayer! Slick, on the other hand, stood there dumbfounded, once again just staring at Molly. When Molly would cluck to the chicks, only three went running for her tid-bitting. Slick just stood and stared. I was worried. However, I sat and watched 30+ minutes and it didn’t take her long to figure out what was going on.

Long story short for today, I continuously checked on them throughout the day and again when they were bedding down. My heart melted when I watched as Slick slid in underneath her broody!:love:love

I didn’t take any pictures of the reunion and I could kick myself now, but if all is still good in the morning I will. Here are a few pictures of the two together before I returned them to Molly! Oh, and Slick has a tiny brown spot on the top of her head, has a pea comb and I believe maybe will have a beard and muffs (when the oil disappears.) :fl Molly’s chick already has wing feather tips.
8C122EA2-281B-4B1C-941E-88D9317B7B6E.jpeg

A56687B6-0604-47A1-818E-82DC5A351764.jpeg
7A76BD1B-522A-400D-BAB4-09586E6BC2A4.jpeg

My little baby started crowing today. :hit It’s okay I guess because he is a little cockerel that I probably won’t keep. But still, he is special because he would have been dead if I hadn’t intervened.

He’s a pretty little thing with tiny muffs. He is 6 weeks old today!
A6CD791B-F425-4707-BA5F-D5B0D1BD12CD.jpeg
5633B8AF-DC66-4565-8DCC-EC0B268FB54F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom