bloody comb...what do i need to do?

montanaSarah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
i just went out to check on my pullets, and one is covered in blood from what appears to be coming from her comb. i can't tell what's going on, but her whole comb is swollen and wet from blood. none of the others seem to be injured. i brought her into my basement, and tried to clean her head off, but she didn't really want to hold still for that. what else should i do for her? there is snow on the ground here, and i think the high today is 35 degrees. is she okay to go outside and heal, or should i keep her in for the day? any advice would be very helpful.
thanks

okay, did the cornstarch. upon further inspection she seems to be missing a big chunk of her comb in the back...like one of the others just snatched it off! but there is blood coming from all over the comb it seems. she appears fine, a little weirded out that she's in my basement. should i just keep her in all day to allow it to clot and then send her out again?

i don't have any. it must have happened last night because i went back to their coop and see that it happened up on their roost--they all fight for this one spot up there at night, looks like someone wanted her to move from it. the bleeding has already slowed (when i first grabbed her it was still dripping, now there are no drips). but every time i go down there to pick her up and check on it, she pecks my hand and freaks out a bit. she is missing a pretty big part of her comb though. i think i'll just keep her in all day--where can i get some blue cote??

Back
Top Bottom