Bloody Comb

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Oh my sweet Lulu Lemon, who just came into lay, got her comb nipped. It's a HUGE comb and my suspicion is that my alpha Jersey Giant has had enough of sharing her nest box and took a shot at her. And I don't have any Blue Kote. I put some Vet RX on it and some of the scab came off. I guess a trip to the feed store is in order for tomorrow.

Why can't they just all get along?!?

Here she is last week before she got nipped. Actually, maybe this is two weeks old because her comb is MUCH bigger and redder today. And starting to flop to one side. I just love a floppy comb on a hen.

She's out in the big garden eating snails right now. She's rapidly becoming my new favorite hen.

Her first egg from Saturday. It's in the PeeWee category. She's since graduated up to the "Small" category. She skipped Sunday and has laid and egg every day since. Not sure if that's indicative of all Andalusian's. But wow. Extra treats for that girl for sure.

They are definitely wild. She does not like to be held. I scooped her up to clean up her comb and offered her treats and she wouldn't eat as long as I was holding her. But ate as soon as I put her down.

I would keep her separated until the wound has completely healed or she is likely to get picked on more. Non-pain relief neosporin works well for chickens.

That's the tough part for us small flock owners. I don't have a place to isolate her. I only have the 6 hens and such a small space. And that space is a total disaster as we get ready to have some landscapers start on Monday.

No one showed any interest in her so I really think the scuffle was over the "favorite" nest box. I'll definitely dash out to the feed store for Blue Kote tomrrow. And I'll check in on them at bedtime. I have some pecking issue there too because my hen house is really meant for 5 hens and I have the 6.

If she gets picked on anymore, I'll bring her in the house and put her in a dog crate. But I know she's much happier out with her sisters doing their chicken thing. Even if that means getting nipped her and there.

I understand. I also only have 5 hens. I have a coated wire dog crate I use as a chicken hospital. I would just keep an eye out because chickens can be attracted to blood and attack injured birds. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom