Bloody eggshells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by craftymama86, Mar 14, 2011.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Songster

Our RIR started laying about 2 weeks ago and has been doing great but the last 2 eggs she's laid has had what looks like blood on one end of the eggs. Is this normal? We had a rooster but it was recently taken by a hawk. [​IMG] Before he was taken though he would try to breed with her, could that have something to do with the eggs looking bloody?

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    My ladies will get some blood on the eggs from time to time. I always assumed it was because the egg was a bit larger than the usual size for the pullet/hen. The skin can only stretch so much before it tears. My birds have never become ill/damaged from this.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    this is normal, i know that i have recently gotten some eggs that have been really bloody but i didnt see any other problems and it stopped after a couple of days. just keep an eye on all of them and check their vents for any blood, she should be okay within a couple of days. if it doesnt stop after a while then you might have a problem but i wouldnt worry too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: