Bloody in poop not sure what to treat with

ToniaM

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
First time seeing bloody poop. I’ve read lots of posts but not sure what’s causing it to know how to treat it, if it needs treating? Has been going on for a couple of days. Pullets are 9 weeks old. I think it’s only one possibly two of the four I have because it’s not scattered where they all roost. Just in a small area.
is this worms or coccidiosis?
Please help!! Thanks!
FA55C526-40F1-437A-BE64-F06EA6B7510B.jpeg

I don’t understand how they got this. So it’s fine for them all to drink it. I’m assuming will stop it from spreading. They are in a new coop and I maintain it daily and using Purina medicated chick starter feed. Curious what I’ve done wrong so I don’t repeat it.
thanks so much for fast reply, headed to town now!

I don’t understand how they got this. So it’s fine for them all to drink it. I’m assuming will stop it from spreading. They are in a new coop and I maintain it daily and using Purina medicated chick starter feed. Curious what I’ve done wrong so I don’t repeat it.
thanks so much for fast reply, headed to town now!
You’ve probably done nothing wrong. Pretty much all chickens carry coccidia. It gets spread around, but does not cause problems unless the levels get out of hand. The medicated starter is supposed to act as a preventive until immune systems are built up, but sometimes it’s just not enough. Healthy chickens are able to build up immunity to prevent this, but sometimes immune systems are compromised due to stress, illness, etc. Chicks and young birds that have not had time develop immunity are also at a greater risk. Something as simple as a change in weather can bring it on. The best thing to do is start treating ASAP and keep everything as clean as possible during this time as they’ll be spreading it. It will not hurt the birds (even those not showing symptoms) to have corid in the water. Basically, if one has it, they all have it or are at risk of having it so it’s best to treat the whole flock. The good news is once they’ve had coccidiosis and have successfully gotten through it, they’re typically immune from having it again.

You’ve probably done nothing wrong. Pretty much all chickens carry coccidia. It gets spread around, but does not cause problems unless the levels get out of hand. The medicated starter is supposed to act as a preventive until immune systems are built up, but sometimes it’s just not enough. Healthy chickens are able to build up immunity to prevent this, but sometimes immune systems are compromised due to stress, illness, etc. Chicks and young birds that have not had time develop immunity are also at a greater risk. Something as simple as a change in weather can bring it on. The best thing to do is start treating ASAP and keep everything as clean as possible during this time as they’ll be spreading it. It will not hurt the birds (even those not showing symptoms) to have corid in the water. Basically, if one has it, they all have it or are at risk of having it so it’s best to treat the whole flock. The good news is once they’ve had coccidiosis and have successfully gotten through it, they’re typically immune from having it again.
Thank you, bless you!!
I am in south central Louisiana and when I say we have taken on some rain last week that doesn’t even explain it.
I have a small section fenced for them to go into the run, perhaps all that rain water. There’s some low spots and I have 2 yards of hardwood mulch staring at me to shovel in. I will treat all of the water because my grown flock also goes in the same run.
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom