Bloody neck

MEchickenfarmer33

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Maine
one of my chickens has appeared to have been pecked brutally on her neck. she is the smallest of our 19 chicken flock and we have just introduced them together for about a week now. She is totally fine too. shes acting normal, eating, drinking, and even comes to visit when i enter the coop. What should i do to

a.) keep the chickens from pecking at the wound
b.)how to protect from infections (should i use peroxide)
c.)should i cover it up with gauze or band aids
d.)should i isolate her for the time being during healing

thanks so much if you respond. I need urgent help!!!!

I would separate her to clean and assess the wound. You can use peroxide for the initial cleaning, but then use something milder such as saline or soap and water. You can try to disguise the wound using Blukote wound dressing, but I wouldn't try to use gauze or any of that stuff unless the wound is really bad. It won't stay in place and will be pulled off within minutes anyway. You need to decide if she should stay out of the flock until she heals. I am reluctant to remove birds from the flock unless absolutely necessary. If the wound is disguised enough by the Blukote then she should be OK in the flock, but if it is still obvious despite the Blukote then you should probably isolate her until she is healed.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Quote:
Blue or green food coloring.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Blue or green food coloring.
idunno.gif

mixed with what??? i just went out there and i used soap water and wiped it off with a gauze. then i put infection preventing ointment on the wound and let her eat some greek yogurt (for the protein). she ate and drank some water and went to roost with the other chickens. so yeah what should i mix the food coloring with??

That won't work. It won't stick to the wound like the gentian violet in Blukote will. If you don't have Blukote then the bird will need to be separate until she heals otherwise the others will just keep picking at her.

Back
Top Bottom