bloody poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckin'happy, Oct 8, 2009.

1. cluckin'happy

cluckin'happy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    i am a fairly new chicken momma. my birds have been sick since we introduced a few to the fair circuit about 1 month ago. quite certain it was CRD. treated with tetracycline in the water for 7 days. lost a number of birds. some bloody stools during this time but the past two days are terrible. not even sure its blood but i think so. i have attached pics. HELP PLEASE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    CRD doesn't typically present with bloody poop - what are other symptoms, what is the breed of bird, age, etc.?

3. cluckin'happy

cluckin'happy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    it started with a few birds just dying with no symptoms. thena alot of runny noses(beaks) some sneezing, alot of swollen eyes with bubbles, and some noise while breathing( raspy). tried saving a few in the house by hand feeding and antibiotic cream on eyes to stay moist. only two birds remain with any of these symptoms but now the bloody stools. also i have pics but have not figured out how to get them attached to a post. thanks

4. powerline

powerline Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    To me, the bloody stool looks like coccidiosis. Corid is the best to use, but it is expensive. Sulmet, Albon, and Acidified Copper Sulfate are less expensive.
    These can be purchased from Randall Burkey Company, at randallburkey.com. I believe they advertise on this site. They have Aueromycin Sulmet. This will treat CRD symptoms and Coccidiosis at the same time. Also, you can check with First State Vet Supply. I know they advertise with this site.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. DooryardChickens

DooryardChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm treating my flock right now for Cocci. I paid $20 for the Corid at our local Blue Seal farm supply. Not bad for saving some lives !! Best of luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by