bloody, runny poop?

UGAchick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Riverside, CA
I noticed that one of my babies had runny bloody poop yesterday. Also, another one was sneezing for a few minutes, but a few hours later I didn't see any sneezing. Otherwise they all appear perfectly healthy. Eating, drinking, being chickens.

Should I worry?

P.S. they were vaccinated for Mareks at the hatchery and were on medicated chick starter until a few days ago.

Runny bloody poop in chicks most often indicates coccidiosis. The medicated food you mentioned often fails to prevent this.

Check out this link:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

to verify that you're not seeing the shedding of intestinal lining.

Then get Corid or Sulmet and start medicating that flock right away.

As to the sneezing, if you haven't seen any discharge (runny nose or eyes), i wouldn't worry. She probably just got some dust in her nose.
wink.png

How helpful!! It does, in fact, just look like the "shed intestinal lining" photo. Why is that normal? Seems scary to me!

The babies are almost 5 weeks old.

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't sound like something that should be "normal" but it is. Every minute of the day you have various cells in your body dying and new cells being "born." Once an individual cell dies, it is either resorbed by the body and the "nutrients" are used, or it gets expelled from the body.

Quote:
Yes, you do. You should check out the 'Yo Georgians' thread in the Where am I? Where are you? section. I bet you will find others in Augusta

Back
Top Bottom