bloody stool for weeks.. no other symptoms.. what's wrong?

lothefarmer

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
CA
i have a group of 20 chicks. i noticed that one pooped out bloody stool ONCE about a week ago, so i rushed to the store to get some sulmet thinking it was coccidiosis (freaking out). no other symptoms though, just the bloody stool. all of the other birds were totally fine, and no blood in their stool. today was their last day on the sulmet, and after a whole week with no more bloody poops from anybody, including the only bird i'd seen actually poop out the blood, he made ONE MORE bloody poop. still no symptoms though. it's weird. i decided not to try sulmet again because i want to find out if that's what's wrong for sure, or wait until he or the others do exhibit symptoms.

yes, they eat medicated feed. they have their whole time they've been with me.
the bird that pooped the blood is about two months old, and we got him from a breeder, (we got him at 4-5 weeks)
all but four of the others are from hatcheries.

please tell me what you think about this, and what i should do.

thank you!

I wish I could help or tell you what is wrong, but I don't feel the occasional bloody stool indicates cocci and I wouldn't pull out meds over one appearance. But then, I wouldn't feed medicated feeds, give meds, nor mix an older bird from another source in with chicks.

Maybe someone else whose had coccidiosis in their flock can help you with this one. Good luck!
smile.png

oh yes, that looks just like his poo! thank you both so much! that relieves a lot of my stress :)
about the sulmet, i heard it does no damage to them if they don't have an illness, but i have not used it before. is that true? i don't want to have hurt them by misdiagnosing ):

Sulmet (or most any medication) is hard on their little bodies, but there's no long term difficulties to my knowledge. If they're fine now, then they'll be fine. Glad there was nothing to worry about.
hugs.gif

i heard that was so, so i gave them yogurt because i heard that would be good for them?
but um.. yesterday i saw like, two more reddish stools. >.< still no symptoms. does this intestinal lining just come out til it's out or does it rarely?

okay. it's just weird because i've never seen it before in our first two batches of chicks; i probably just missed it.
thanks for the reinforcement :)

Back
Top Bottom