Bloody Tail Feathers!

farmgirlz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Yes, I know, there were other posts with the same problem, but...

So I've got a new flock that I got just 4 weeks ago. I've got five-six different breeds. Yesterday I decided that they were big enough to move out of the garage and into the barn. Today, I went out to check on them because they were being unusually vocal. I attributed it to yesterdays move. But I found one with a bloody bum. I can't say tail feathers, cause they're aren't any left. So I went through and checked the rest of them, found 3 more with bloody feathers. They still had theirs atleast. So I quarantined them, let the blood dry up some and Blue Koted them. They're still picking at themselves.

I've been giving them vitamin water right from the beginning and I have them on Blue Seal Medicated starter.

I'm wondering if they have mites??? I've never had any trouble with mites before now.
( I have looked them over, and don't see anything per se. How small are mites?)
All four birds are of the same breed? Coincidence?
They're still eating and drinking fine, but they're being rather vocal still.
And I may be paranoid now, or looking for something that isn't there...but the others seem to be picking at their feathers now too???
Am I just reading more into things than I should be? Do I just need to sit back and see what time does?

HELP!!!!

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they have mites??? I've never had any trouble with mites before now.
( I have looked them over, and don't see anything per se. How small are mites?) Mites are very small and usually only visible on the birds at night. During the day they hang out in the environment. They only get on the birds at night to feed.
All four birds are of the same breed? Coincidence? No, If you have a feather picker at work it is not coincidence. Feather pickers tend to go after birds that are different from themselves. That's why birds with funky do's (like Polish) are at particular risk in a mixed flock.
They're still eating and drinking fine, but they're being rather vocal still.
And I may be paranoid now, or looking for something that isn't there...but the others seem to be picking at their feathers now too??? You need to do a thorough bug check. Since they were just moved and all the birds seem to be freaking out, I'd say there may be something the environment is harboring.
Am I just reading more into things than I should be? Do I just need to sit back and see what time does? No. If they have bugs it needs to be addressed ASAP. Bugs, in high doses, can be deadly. If it is a behavioral issue then it also needs to be dealt with ASAP before it becomes a bad habit. Bad habits are hard to break.

Ok, well it's starting to get dark here, so I'll go out and check for bugs shortly. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

Well, I went out with a flashlight and didn't see anything (bugs or such). I dunno, guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom