Bloody vent advice please!

Viola29

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
I have a splash maran whose just under a year. I went out this morning to find her vent bloody and her underfluff pointed down (but the tail was up) as if she were about to lay an egg. She's perky, eating and drinking, but I have no idea what it is. I used to raise chickens a while ago and just got back into them, but I've never seen this before. There is some tissue hanging out. It doesn't look like an egg so I don't think she's egg bound. Does anyone have any ideas? I've given her a warm bath and cleaned her a bit. I will do more so once she is dry and see if I can feel around the area a bit.

Thank you so much. I will look into that. Do you know off hand if it is something really serious? For instance every time she lays an egg?

sadly yes prolapse can be very serious if you can't get the tissue to stay put inside... you will need to watch for infection and keep her away from others that can peck it. if you read the articles it has some tips on treatment. one thing that wasn't mentioned was you can get a purse suture done at the vet to help hold the tissue into place. that's another option. if the tissue continues to pop out. she might be prone to prolapse and its something you'll have to watch. your going to have to bring her inside while she's healing or she can get pecked at or fly blown with maggots down there and you don't want that. read through the information on prolapse and it should answer all your questions. God bless and I hope she gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom