Bloody Vent...Four Days Later...What Else Can I do?

I'm glad you kinda got an answer from the vet.
Hopefully the meds will have her back to her normal self in no time.
Could you hang some kale for her to peck at or a cabbage or apple to keep her busy?

That's a great idea! She loves kale. Thanks!

Well, I have to admit that moving Marigold from the basement to the glassed in porch was an excellent idea. The minute we got her settled after her bumpy ride, she got up and ate some noodles (after not eating for three days I was trying all of her favorites) and crumbles, and drank plenty of water. Of course, she's laying in her antibiotic now, so I'm going to have to fix something else, but she's loving being able to look outside. Hopefully, this will help with her healing process! It will also help me keep an eye on her, because it's easier to step out here than go down in the basement.

Now, I just have to keep my two new kittens away from her!

I wonder if it'd be okay if I let her out for a little free time tomorrow? I'd bathe her afterwards (the vet was worried about dirt and maggots in her wound). She's just getting so bored in the cage, and she's still got 10 days of antibiotics to get through before I can put her back outside.

I wonder if it'd be okay if I let her out for a little free time tomorrow? I'd bathe her afterwards (the vet was worried about dirt and maggots in her wound). She's just getting so bored in the cage, and she's still got 10 days of antibiotics to get through before I can put her back outside.

I think that would be fine - perhaps a small enclosure inside or were you thinking outside? I don't see a problem as long as her bum stays clean and it will brighten her up no end
smile.png

I think that would be fine - perhaps a small enclosure inside or were you thinking outside? I don't see a problem as long as her bum stays clean and it will brighten her up no end
smile.png
I was thinking outside, but I've got to bathe her tomorrow anyway, so I could just do it afterwards. I'm sure she'll try to dust bathe. And it'll give me a chance to clean out her cage and replace her linens. Ha. She seems to be feeling better, and she hasn't bled since the vet visit. No eggs, but she's not so swollen anymore either and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all.

I'm not sure she's getting her antibiotic, though, because she seems to eat around it when I put it in her food, just like my dogs do. I keep trying all of her favorite things, too!
roll.png

I was thinking outside, but I've got to bathe her tomorrow anyway, so I could just do it afterwards. I'm sure she'll try to dust bathe. And it'll give me a chance to clean out her cage and replace her linens. Ha. She seems to be feeling better, and she hasn't bled since the vet visit. No eggs, but she's not so swollen anymore either and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all.

I'm not sure she's getting her antibiotic, though, because she seems to eat around it when I put it in her food, just like my dogs do. I keep trying all of her favorite things, too!
roll.png

Is her antibiotic a pill? Have you tried finely crushing and giving it with some sloppy mash/feed or tuna with water? Just a teaspoon should suffice to disguise the taste. As long as she is getting most of it - chickens are very hardy. They can recover from the most awful injuries without batting an eyelid...
I think she will love being outside...my girls would be jealous, we still have snow on the ground.
sad.png

Is her antibiotic a pill? Have you tried finely crushing and giving it with some sloppy mash/feed or tuna with water? Just a teaspoon should suffice to disguise the taste. As long as she is getting most of it - chickens are very hardy. They can recover from the most awful injuries without batting an eyelid...
I think she will love being outside...my girls would be jealous, we still have snow on the ground.
sad.png

She has a pill and a liquid. I've tried mixing them in corn, yogurt, feed, and noodles. All of her favorite things. You can tell she tastes it when she eats them, so she backs off. I may try some oatmeal tomorrow. I'm hoping being outside will help her work up more of an appetite and she'll eat more when she comes inside. I am jealous of your snow - we've had none this year - but I'm also ready for spring so I can start gardening more. Thanks for all of your help and support, by the way. I feel like everyone thinks I'm crazy for putting so much effort into a chicken.

She has a pill and a liquid. I've tried mixing them in corn, yogurt, feed, and noodles. All of her favorite things. You can tell she tastes it when she eats them, so she backs off. I may try some oatmeal tomorrow. I'm hoping being outside will help her work up more of an appetite and she'll eat more when she comes inside. I am jealous of your snow - we've had none this year - but I'm also ready for spring so I can start gardening more. Thanks for all of your help and support, by the way. I feel like everyone thinks I'm crazy for putting so much effort into a chicken.

You should be proud of yourself - chickens are living, breathing creatures that will bring you a lot of pleasure. Sadly, many cannot be bothered to care for their livestock as well as they should - kudos to you
thumbsup.gif

You should be proud of yourself - chickens are living, breathing creatures that will bring you a lot of pleasure. Sadly, many cannot be bothered to care for their livestock as well as they should - kudos to you
thumbsup.gif
I agree! Even if I didn't care for them, I hate to see anything suffer!

So, I decided to let her out with the other chickens today - I only have four others now. That was a mistake. Petunia, who I guess is the new head hen, went right after her when she saw her. Got on top of her with her claws like a hawk. I had a book because I planned to sit outside with them to intervene in case anything like this happened and had to use it to pry Petunia off of her. Poor Marigold was hiding in the corner of the house, so I brought her back into her little cage. I'll have to let her have some solo free time tomorrow and then figure out how the heck I'm going to introduce her back into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom