Bloody Vent...Four Days Later...What Else Can I do?

Well, Marigold is back outside - in a separate cage - today. I knew it was time, because yesterday, during free time, she would not leave the coop and kept trying to get inside. The minute I got her cage next to the big coop, she started puffing up at Petunia. The two moved like a mirror through the hardware mesh for like 10 minutes. Petunia finally went over and laid down in the sun. Marigold finally backed off a while later. Before, when Petunia attacked her, she just sat cowered down and let her. So, I at least feel better knowing that if they do fight, she is well enough to stand up for herself now. I'm going to keep them together like this, probably for most of the week, and then Friday when my dad can come help me supervise, let them all out for free time together. I think I need to get some of that Blue Kote spray, too, because Marigold's still got a bald butt! Marigold has always been the most aggressive and bossy, so maybe she is ready to reclaim her throne?

I'm betting on Marigold - as long as she has a blue bum!
thumbsup.gif

I'm betting on Marigold - as long as she has a blue bum!
thumbsup.gif

Well, after a week of living next to them and having separate free-time but 24/7 access where they could see each other, the plan is to let them have free time together tomorrow. Or it was. Marigold banged herself so hard against the door of her cage today that it came unlatched (I keep rocks in front of it at night to keep predators out). I looked out the window to check on them and noticed one too many red chickens running around. She was fine for about 5 minutes, and then one of my Wyandottes came and pecked her. Then Petunia ran over, and she and Marigold puffed up at each other and started squabbling. I probably should have just let them have at it for a minute, but I started squealing and flapping my shirt at them. They both ran into the big coop, and I managed to grab Marigold just as she got inside the door. So, that was our excitement for the day. I really hope they all learn to love each other again at some point, but for now, they are just going to get supervised free time. If it turns out Petunia is the biggest bully, I'll separate her, but now I'm worried about the others!

Well, after a week of living next to them and having separate free-time but 24/7 access where they could see each other, the plan is to let them have free time together tomorrow. Or it was. Marigold banged herself so hard against the door of her cage today that it came unlatched (I keep rocks in front of it at night to keep predators out). I looked out the window to check on them and noticed one too many red chickens running around. She was fine for about 5 minutes, and then one of my Wyandottes came and pecked her. Then Petunia ran over, and she and Marigold puffed up at each other and started squabbling. I probably should have just let them have at it for a minute, but I started squealing and flapping my shirt at them. They both ran into the big coop, and I managed to grab Marigold just as she got inside the door. So, that was our excitement for the day. I really hope they all learn to love each other again at some point, but for now, they are just going to get supervised free time. If it turns out Petunia is the biggest bully, I'll separate her, but now I'm worried about the others!

Yes - the pecking order can be brutal. If you see any of the others picking on her, I suggest a little jail time for them....

Marigold's still in her separate cage next to the big coop, and I'm beginning to think she may have to live there forever. She mostly keeps to herself during free time. I've got two chickens who try to attack her and two who just ignore her, even when she tries to fight them. I actually just went out and found Myrtle, one of my usually gentle Wyandottes, on top of her and Marigold was cowered down. Marigold fights back with Petunia, though. But Myrtle also tried to attack my dog earlier, and she's never done that, so maybe she's feeling rowdy today? Either way, these chickens are going to give me a nervous breakdown! Ha ha.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what to do when I've got two attacking her. Should I put them both in the separate cage for a few days?

Marigold's still in her separate cage next to the big coop, and I'm beginning to think she may have to live there forever. She mostly keeps to herself during free time. I've got two chickens who try to attack her and two who just ignore her, even when she tries to fight them. I actually just went out and found Myrtle, one of my usually gentle Wyandottes, on top of her and Marigold was cowered down. Marigold fights back with Petunia, though. But Myrtle also tried to attack my dog earlier, and she's never done that, so maybe she's feeling rowdy today? Either way, these chickens are going to give me a nervous breakdown! Ha ha.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what to do when I've got two attacking her. Should I put them both in the separate cage for a few days?

My best suggestion - put Marigold and the 2 who ignore her in the big coop, the fighters get jail time separately. When you start to put them all back in, Petunia goes first - give it a couple of days for M & P to sort it out, then add the others 1 at a time with a couple of days between each....you certainly do have a rowdy bunch!
roll.png

My best suggestion - put Marigold and the 2 who ignore her in the big coop, the fighters get jail time separately. When you start to put them all back in, Petunia goes first - give it a couple of days for M & P to sort it out, then add the others 1 at a time with a couple of days between each....you certainly do have a rowdy bunch!
roll.png

They are rowdy! And to make matters worse, my neighbor's two roosters have started coming over to visit. Part of me is thinking babies! Part of me is thinking no more drama!

The roosters may help with the 'drama' problem for sure.....cute little chicks - what more could you want??
smile.png
I've had two roosters and two pretty young hens in my yard all day! I kept mine inside, because I wasn't sure what would happen if I let them all out together. They wanted to get out, though, and one of the roosters stood at my coop crowing for half the afternoon. Baby chicks would be fun, but my mom said she won't eat anymore of the eggs if they are fertilized, so I don't know what to do about all that either.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom