Bloody vent. Help!

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
I have a 5 year old buff Orpington whose vent is very bloody. Not bloody poop, but oozing straight blood and goopy blood clots. No external injuries, and vent does not seem swollen or inflamed. Very much like when a person has a heavy period. (Apologies to gentleman readers.). She is eating, drinking, and pooping as usual. No sign of being egg bound or of a prolapsed vent. I brought her in, bathed her, and kept her quiet in a pet carrier for 2 days. No worse, but no better. I am treating her and the flock with Corid just in case it's coccidiosis, but I don't think it is. HELP!

I really don't know the cause, but it well could be some type of cancer. There is a disease called fatty liver hemorrhagic disease that can cause bleeding internally, but I don't know if that might be a possibility. That usually is found in overweight hens and causes a sharp decrease in laying. Is she losing weight through her brest area or have any lower belly fullness? Does she have any scabs on her vent area. I hope you can figure out the problem.

Back
Top Bottom