Bloody vent

We ended up putting her in a cozy kennel. Washing her off. I trimmed her up. Kept her still and fed her ACV, sea kelp in plain yogurt, eggs, tomatoes and oyster shells. We just moved her back cause her comb ended up dropping but some how managed to perk back up. ,my only worry is no egg yet and my boss bought battery hens who have runny noses . I also am worried about my flock catching 1/2 or both these things. What ever it was that happened to her. When I see a egg I'll be happier. I checked her to make sure she wasn't egg bound. Thank you! What ended up hApping with your? No ducks around.

I'm glad she's doing better. I will say that after trauma like that, it may take a while for her to lay again. We had a hen who was blinded by her flock in one eye and I believe it took her several months before we saw an egg. We thought she would never lay again.

Just keep an eye on her for any strange behavior. If you're concerned about egg binding, just keep a check on her abdomen. If she begins acting really lethargic and doesn't want to do anything and seems in stress and you feel a hard lump in her abdomen, those will be signs of egg binding. I've got some experience with that too if you need help with that. Just make sure you're feeding the hens oyster shells so they have enough calcium to lay.

Also, if the hens develop a runny nose, you may be dealing with an upper respiratory infection, which will require antibiotics to get rid of. If you're concerned about that, I would say to talk to casportpony since she is very knowledgeable about medication for poultry.

As for our duck who this post was originally about, she seems to be doing okay now. She's back with the flock, acting like her normal self and laying again. It did take her a while before we saw an egg too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom