Bloody Vents

OhioFarmGal

Hatching
Jan 31, 2023
Hi, I have raised chicken for many years. Once in a while I have had a chicken with a bloody vent or one that became egg bound. I have 14 pollutes that I raised from day old chicks. They started laying about a month ago. It is a mixed flock, a couple of Easter Eggers, some black sex links and a few others. Everything has been fine. They were laying between 10 and 12 eggs a day. When I went to gather eggs today, 10 of the 14 had blood around their vents, some were pretty bad, one died this evening. I gave them some wild bird seed a few days ago as a treat. Could there be a connection? I brought them indoors and cleaned them up. Any insight as to what is going on?

Hi, I have raised chicken for many years. Once in a while I have had a chicken with a bloody vent or one that became egg bound. I have 14 pollutes that I raised from day old chicks. They started laying about a month ago. It is a mixed flock, a couple of Easter Eggers, some black sex links and a few others. Everything has been fine. They were laying between 10 and 12 eggs a day. When I went to gather eggs today, 10 of the 14 had blood around their vents, some were pretty bad, one died this evening. I gave them some wild bird seed a few days ago as a treat. Could there be a connection? I brought them indoors and cleaned them up. Any insight as to what is going on?
Have you checked for mites? I took this one chicken home from the flea market a long time ago and she laid a bloody egg in the car and I checked her vent and she had horrible scabbing from mites. I put Vaseline on and around her vent and she was laying eggs normally after that! I would definitely rule that out! As for the bird seed, I dont really see that affecting them.

I would think that it is vent pecking, which can lead to cannibalism. Possible causes are overcrowding, not getting outside enough to free range, not enough protein in the diet, too much light in laying areas, not enough nests, and certain more aggressive breeds. You probably need keep a watch on them, and perhaps use something like pine tar or Nustock Cream on the vent areas to help prevent more pecking.

I keep a close eye on them and have never noticed any pecking. They have about 8 square feet per bird. They were all fine until today and then they all have it at the same time. My most aggressive hen was one of the worst affected.

I will definitely check for mites. I gave each of them a warm bottom bath and didn't notice any nasties but will do a better inspection tomorrow.

Thank you.

I would think that it is vent pecking, which can lead to cannibalism. Possible causes are overcrowding, not getting outside enough to free range, not enough protein in the diet, too much light in laying areas, not enough nests, and certain more aggressive breeds. You probably need keep a watch on them, and perhaps use something like pine tar or Nustock Cream on the vent areas to help prevent more pecking.
Could it be calcium? I feed a compete feed and their eggshells are super hard but could that be the cause?

What is their normal diet? Could it be pecking?
It's unlikely it's the birdseed.
They get pellet layer feed and cracked corn in the winter as well as kitchen scraps. I have a separate flock that gets the same but they also free range. No problems there.

They get pellet layer feed and cracked corn in the winter as well as kitchen scraps. I have a separate flock that gets the same but they also free range. No problems there.
I do not think it is pecking. They have plenty of space and they were all fine until today. I have had pecking issues in the past and it usually starts with one. My most aggressive hen was one of the worst affected. I really think it might be a diet issue to hit 10 of the 14 so quickly. Could it be calcium?

Back
Top Bottom