Bloody watery stool!! Need advice!!

ChickInnMama

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Hi, we have a hen that I had asked about that may have MG, that med finally came and I will be starting her 5 day treatment today. Is MG contagious? I don’t remember the long name, just that everyone always puts (MG) for the abbreviation. I ask because another of my hens had watery, bloody stool overnight in the coop. I have no idea which hen it was, but I know it wasn’t Charlotte (my little hen with suspected MG) because I have 2 small coops and she’s in the other coop, but they do all free range during the day together. All my hens are acting normal, but we do live in FL and it’s already into the 90s here so the heat always affects them. I just dewormed everyone almost 2 weeks ago, we hadn’t seen any worms but they all have dirty vents and we have treated for mites and lice but never seen any even when we looked so we realized it may be from worms. That’s a lot of information, just trying to give a full picture. When the person advised to give Charlotte the Tysion (I can’t remember how it’s spelled sorry) for the MG they said don’t treat the birds if they don’t show signs, but should I go ahead and treat my whole flock? Oh and if it helps Charlotte has had bubbles in her eye here and there and a swollen ear only on one side and this happened last summer as well but it cleared up with an antibiotic last summer and this summer it didn’t. Lastly, I’ve let them into my spring garden area because it’s done and they’ve been cleaning up in there, spreading my mulch around and getting bugs off the dead plants, I do that every year and it’s never had an adverse affect on them, we only use organic things in our garden, but just in case that’s relevant I’m adding that. Thank you so much!!

Yes, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is contagious. All in the flock should be considered carriers, even though only a few chickens may show symptoms. But testing is the only way to know for sure what disease it is. Here is an article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/arec.umd.... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

As for the hen showing the blood in the stool, I would suspect worms. It could also be intestinal shed if it is more orange. You cannot see most worm eggs in their droppings, and would only see adult worms during a severe case. Could you post a couple of pictures of droppings of that chicken? Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10 days to get newly hatched worm eggs would be good to use. Al’s SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or the horse paste could be used instead. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 straight days. Either one treats most chicken worms at that dosage except tapeworms. Seeing the dropping may help.

Yes, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is contagious. All in the flock should be considered carriers, even though only a few chickens may show symptoms. But testing is the only way to know for sure what disease it is. Here is an article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/arec.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

As for the hen showing the blood in the stool, I would suspect worms. It could also be intestinal shed if it is more orange. You cannot see most worm eggs in their droppings, and would only see adult worms during a severe case. Could you post a couple of pictures of droppings of that chicken? Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10 days to get newly hatched worm eggs would be good to use. Al’s SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or the horse paste could be used instead. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 straight days. Either one treats most chicken worms at that dosage except tapeworms. Seeing the dropping may help.
We just dewormed all of them for 5 days straight with the safeguard and did the 1/4 ml per pound, they just finished that about 2 weeks ago. I don’t have any pictures of the stool, I was going to run and get my phone to get a picture and the girls all walked through it and there was pooped on top of it when I came back, so I can’t get a picture. And I’m not sure which hen it was unfortunately 😕 it was just getting light and I didn’t have my glasses or contacts and I can see well enough around my house and property to get around so I don’t bother, unfortunately when I try to look into their still semi dark coop I can’t see exactly who is on that roosting bar. The reason I could see the bloody, watery poop clearly is that it was right in front of the door of the coop. We put down old feed bags at night to catch droppings and then dump the poop in the garden and wash the bags off and hang to dry to reuse at night, it keeps the coops clean 😄

I did get Corid at the feed store this morning when I took my teen to work. I was going to just treat everyone just in case? The watery bloody stool was literally all liquid, there was nothing solid in it. I really wish I had been able to get a picture. It was bright red, not orangish that I could see, but again, my eyes aren’t the best especially when it’s not fully light out.

Then I would go ahead and treat with the Corid as the only source of water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. If you get some pictures of abnormal droppings later, try to post some.

Then I would go ahead and treat with the Corid as the only source of water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. If you get some pictures of abnormal droppings later, try to post some.
Ok great thank you! I’ve switched out all their water and only put out 2 waterers with corid in them 😄 if I see more I’ll get a picture and post it! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom