Blooie's Blankie Fort

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blooie, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Blooie if you attack this with the same vigor did you attack everything else, all will be well

You have now stepped into the arena, of full-blown addict

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Yay Blooie, you did it!! Love the title! :lau :clap

Good luck... Did local show up with the brownies he promised yet? :pop
    -Banti

3. MyPetChicken

MyPetChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oh, I'm so excited about this! I can't wait to see them hatch.

Make sure you don't have hot/cold spots in the second incubator. :)

Alex
    My Pet Chicken

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh my! I don't want to be an hatching addict. I just want to have the ability to put a few in the incubator if I don't have broody, which is why I loved getting that Brinsea Eco 20. I don't have room for a lot of chickens, there is no market for chicks or started birds here, and I have no specific breeding program in mind. This bounty of eggs was totally unexpected. I'm sure the kids and I will enjoy watching them, then I'll clean up the incubators and put them away, only getting one out again on occasion.

My chickens don't read self-help manuals I guess. Out of 20 chickens out there, ranging in age from just over a year to just over 2 years, only ONE has ever gone broody. That's our Easter Egger Agatha. She was broody for the first time at 8 months old, then again a few months later, and late this winter we busted her. She turned 2 the last week of February. Stoopid chickens. Not even the Buff Orpington has ever been broody, and now that I have eggs scattered all over the house there's not a broody to be had!

Thanks for the tip about the spot temps, @MyPetChicken Add that to the list here. That list is getting longer and longer....how do people DO this over and over and stay sane? Oh wait...one answered the other, didn't it? [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    yep...just wait until you start finding any little excuse to incubate.......

it will finally get to the point, that it's Thursday, and you need to set some eggs......or you changed a light bulb on the vent hood......got to set some eggs......

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    or a lawyer when Ken wants divorce....... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    I think you are going to do a great job with these eggs!! I can't wait to see all the chickies you hatch!!

I'm trying to convince my BF that this chicken obsession, that started well into our relationship, isn't going to get out of hand. He thinks I've gone a bit nutty and he's hoping it just a phase I'm going through.....

I think he will feel much better when I finish selling all the babies except for 1 hen from each breed I hatch.

8. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA

Lol I was in the same boat but after nearly a year he was the one that decided we should fill the incubator for the Easter hatch-a-long. In fact we over filled it and within the two weeks after filling the incubator we had four ladies go broody! Four! Okay so why not give each of them some eggs right? Lol can't wait to see how they do as first time Mama's and you know what? It's okay that we have all these chicks hatching BC what was only for us to grow out and fill out freezer at first has turned into having already sold 40 of the chicks and us "possibly" setting another incubator part way full. He has started gathering eggs again! lol did I mention we have also sold 4 dozen hatching eggs and we sell eating eggs. It's taken a long time(almost a year) but the flock is starting to pay for themselves by doing more than just giving us eating eggs.

Blooie I am so glad you made the blankie fort thread and I can't wait to see your chickes!
    I have a Farm Innovators 4250 and I love it. Is yours the still air model?

1 person likes this.
  9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] I was thinking the same thing!!!

Good luck Blooie, you'll do great!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks. I figured how hard can it be? Chickens do it all the time, and the Mama Heating Pad in the brooder is set up to duplicate her as much as possible! [​IMG] So what if we have to do a few things that she doesn't, like calibrate thermometers and hygrometers and regulate temps and turn things up and down and set automatic egg turners or turn them exactly this many times a day and put in water and take out water and close things up or open them a bit - how hard can it be? [​IMG]Lazy old girls anyway - they eat sometimes, drink sometimes, poop sometimes, lay down most of the time....no ambition, I tell ya!!

Both of my incubators, the Brinsea Oct 20 and the FI 4200 have forced air, @chickendreams24

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by