Blooie's Blankie Fort

People look at me funny when I release my inner chicken.  :/
Me too, but the older I get the more it doesn't bother me.
1f600.png

Okay, it's officially Day one!

They've been in since yesterday evening. I haven't broken any more eggs. The incubators are holding at 99.5 for the most part..sometimes a few decimal points above or below, but pretty steady. The egg turner in the big one is plugged in. (Dang, that thing moves slow!) Humidity in the Oct 20 is holding steady at a good (and calibrated) 40%. Don't know what it is in the big one - my "calibrated" lizard humidity thing said it was over 100% ----- in the living room. Um, I don't think so. Re-calibrate. Oh yeah, that's better - now it's 90%. Back to the store tomorrow. Either that or buy a dehumidifier for the living room. <sigh> These little boogers better appreciate this!!

People look at me funny when I release my inner chicken. :/
Me too, but the older I get the more it doesn't bother me.
1f600.png
Tell me about it! I get loads of weird looks when I release my inner chicken... Probably shouldn't tell people that occasionally I tell my cats I'm displeased with them by growling/hissing if they're naughty... Laugh all you want if I do that from two rooms away my cats freeze stock still and if they're doing something naughty they run! Lol it sounds made up but it's true! Sure wish I understood cat and chicken and dog. :)
Okay, it's officially Day one! They've been in since yesterday evening. I haven't broken any more eggs. The incubators are holding at 99.5 for the most part..sometimes a few decimal points above or below, but pretty steady. The egg turner in the big one is plugged in. (Dang, that thing moves slow!) Humidity in the Oct 20 is holding steady at a good (and calibrated) 40%. Don't know what it is in the big one - my "calibrated" lizard humidity thing said it was over 100% ----- in the living room. Um, I don't think so. Re-calibrate. Oh yeah, that's better - now it's 90%. Back to the store tomorrow. Either that or buy a dehumidifier for the living room. These little boogers better appreciate this!!
Sound like you're doing great! And just so you're not disappointed don't expect too much gratitude just be grateful for eggs when they finally come lol thats about all you'll get maybe some loving. Just 20 more days to go Blooie! Lol I'm on day 19 in the incubator and day 18 under broody #1 of #4 and just about dieing lol they're my first broodies so I admit I'm finding it hard not to hover. 36/46 eggs in the incubator went into lockdown. :) Also I would re-recalibrate that hygrometer. Lol idk where you are but at 90% humidity you must be melting. I make a motion to dis-allow excessive sweating in the blankie fort lol I'm in WI and yes we do sometimes get up to 90-100% humidity in the summer, you'd think it was the Amazon. I love it here but I do hate humidity. It's awful on my asthma. This time of the year trying to get the humidity up in my incubator for lockdown is awful even with today being cold and more importantly rainy.

I wanna see the babies, the suspense is killing me....

What happens when they hatch? You have to keep them in a little house with a heat lamp? When do they become like chickens who can go outside?

I wanna see the babies, the suspense is killing me....

What happens when they hatch? You have to keep them in a little house with a heat lamp? When do they become like chickens who can go outside?
They'll go outside as soon as they are dry, moving well, and have no physical issues. I have a pen in the run for them and they have Mama Heating Pad and a cave. Works fantastic, even when temps are low - like teens and twenties. So they'll learn to be chickens from day one by being out with the adults and watching them. I'll have them fully integrated with the flock by the time they're 4 weeks old.

Gladys watching the chicks. If you look through the pen, you can see Kat on the other side.

Just running around being short chickens.

In the cave, around the cave - it's their "broody hen".

People look at me funny when I release my inner chicken.
hmm.png

that's because you do it in public.......everyone worries when they see you strutting around clucking or going broody......

next time don't try laying an egg in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store.......

good luck Blooie!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom