Blooie's Blankie Fort

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blooie, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It has been brought to my attention that I neglected to let folks know what eggs from @MyPetChicken I have in the incubators. Details, details!

Okay, in the Brinsea Octagon 20 (beginning to love that incubator!) I have:

1 Cream Legbar
    1 Swedish Flower Hen
    3 Green Magnolias
    1 Olive Egger
    1 Black Copper Marans
    1 Blue Copper Marans
    3 Ameri-flowers

In the Farm Innovators 4200 (jury is still out on that incubator - big, bulky, hard to work with)

2 Cream Legbars
    1 Swedish Flower Hen
    3 Green Magnolias
    2 Olive Eggers
    2 Blue Copper Marans
    4 Ameri-flowers
    2 Bielefelders

3 people like this.
  2. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Well, today is day 4. I guess that means I have to hold a candle to them and warm up their little hineys. No, wait, I have to candle them so they know that nightlights are effective. Or do I hold a candle to them so they don't go sun blind from the unfamiliar glare when they come out?

I dunno, but I'll be doing it tonight anyway just on accounta everyone says I'm supposed to. While I'm at it, I might as well look at air cells, mark them, and the look for stuff in the eggs besides whites and a yolk. The adventure continues......

Before I climb back into the blankie fort and finish the picture of the Easter Bunny with his brightly colored eggs, I'll let you know what I see - if anything!

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015

Don't freak if ya don't see anything- I couldn't tell until day 7! :fl

4. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I won't. All feeble humor aside, as I've said some had air cells that I've had some serious doubts about, so I'm mainly checking them and hope to do the first air cell marks so I have some idea where they're at. I won't candle again until Day 7 and then Day 17. I'm too clumsy and can just see myself messing with the eggs to the point of breaking another one. <sigh> I got 2 Black Copper Marans eggs and broke one the first day.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    :fl Good luck, you can do this!! :hugs

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I suggest that you also candle on day 10 and 14, just to make sure your humidity is on track.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Peeps are a-peeping Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Boy the more I read of incubating the more I appreciate my broody bantams. It all seems complicated and stressful.

1 person likes this.
  8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <gulp> I know that would be best.....but is it safe for my eggs? [​IMG] I am the kind of clumsy person who can walk into a support post at Walmart. I know - I've done it! [​IMG] But I guess that makes perfect sense. Thanks, my friend!

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I monitor air cells day 7/14/18

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You don't have to candle every single one. Just 3 or 4 from each incubator. If they are in an auto-turner, you don't even need to take them out of the incubator. Taking the top off isn't going to hurt anything. Remember that broodies get off their nest every day, so a few minutes while you candle isn't the end of the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by