Blu-Kote and picking chicks

heatherkh

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Clackamas, Oregon
Hola - I procured myself some Blu-Kote for my little chickie with the hurt toe. Toe was washed with betadine, dried, and Blu-Kote was applied. I blew on her little toe until Blu-Kote had dried and she was no longer leaving little purple footprints on the paper.

Hoping for the best, I took the wee one outside and put her in the coop with momma and babies. The immediately started picking again, so I scooped her up and brought her back to the hospital. My next strategy is to try again at the end of day when momma and babies are settling in for the night - my thinking is they won't be able to see the purple foot. But again, I'm nervous about the picking starting up in the morning. Any advice? So far, chickie is alert, eating and drinking - and the foot just seems to be bothering it a little. Thanks all!!

If it were mine, I would keep it separated until the toe is healed. Good luck- hope your chick feels better soon
smile.png

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. It's just a bummer because I hate to have it away from momma. On the plus side, chicks seem to heal as quickly as they grow.

Is it the momma pecking or just the other chicks? Maybe you could spray all the little chicks feet, and they wouldn't realize who was the one with the hurt toe?

Funnily enough, we thought of that. Momma picked a little, seemed more of a curiosity thing. Other babies just went to town. I'm torn between letting it heal and keeping it away from momma for too long. Bleargh.

Back
Top Bottom