Blu-Kote Warning

Quote:
Yep..that is probably it..it doesn't say chickens, it says food animals. I cannot see these ingredients do anything to cattle, etc. that would harm the food.

I've used it on my birds several times now...
hide.gif

Its always worked great!

Quote:
We use a lot of things off-label; that's pretty much necessary in small-scale farming where we don't have ready access to anything labeled for these circumstances. That makes it all that much more important that we have all of the information we need to make an educated decision about what to use and when. I'm not trying to tell anybody not to use the stuff. I just want everybody to be aware of the risks to make an educated decision.

It is worth using to me to keep the flock from turning yard piranha on the bleeding chicken. I witnessed this change when one pulled a blood feather from poor Spot. In less than a minute the whole group turned piranha and began attacking him. By the time I was able to pull him away they had stripped his back of feathers. His back was bloody and exposed. The bluekote kept them from pecking him and allowed him to heal up.

Guess each person needs to weigh the risk when using.

I don't use blu cote, but I do have occasion to need something like it.

One day I had a couple of chicks who were being picked. I scooped them up and went to the kitchen. I was looking for something to dust they wounds with. My eye fell on the cocoa powder. I dusted them up and it worked like a charm. They went back to their brooder mates and the picking stopped. The down side is that I kept getting demands for brownies.
lol.png

I have always just gooped on the triple antibiotic ointment. I had a white quail that would always get its head pecked on. I think it got scalped at least twice, but it would get really upset if I tried to separate it from the rest of the birds. Didn't have blu-kote the first time so I used the ointment. It is weird looking for a few days and it does get dirty, but never have I had any get infected and the pecking stopped. Maybe ointment with cocoa on it would be the best solution of all.

Back
Top Bottom