Blue Ameraucana thread!

Pics

Pretty confident I have a roo and a hen which makes me pretty pumped since they are pure bred blue Ameraucana's. Can anyone confirm

Their five weeks old. I couldn't tell until the four week mark. That's when the comb popped right off the splash, and the saddle feathers shot out. It's real obvious now which is the roo and which is the hen. The hen always looked like a hen. The roo was questionable the whole time

i would love to know what to expect regarding the plumage of blue ameraucanas ...i have some between 4 and 5 weeks old and i have raised chicks before, but not blue ameraucanas and the feathers are concerning me. are they normally so tatty? i use this term to describe the flayed, jagged and lack lustre feathering i see. they are young, but as i recalled from other breeds i have raised that the feathers should look healthier?

could it be a feed issue, because they are on a nice chick feed, lightly processed, and eat all day. quantity of food isn't an issue, lol. they get some greens too when they forage on the lawn for short excursions outside. i would love to know if this will improve as they get older or should i change something? or do they just have ratty plumage? they are pure bred blue ameraucanas. thank you!!

I too would be interested in hearing about the blue feathers, I'm raising 4 blue and 2 splash ams and have noticed the feathers look a little "ragged" in comparison to the other birds I have....

Mine looked ragged until 8 weeks. It was wacko but they had small spouts of feathers all over like they had been in a pecking war. Then slowly the white spouts of feather fell off, and we're replaced by awesome blue slate feathers

Back
Top Bottom