Blue Ameraucana thread!

Pics

Picked up this lovely lady and her sister today!

I have a small flock of BBS Ameraucanas from William Morrow lines. Definitely purebred for many generations. Yet, I have one splash hen (my ONLY splash hen) who has a clean face - no muff or beard. I am confused how this happened. After culling many of the extra roos what I have to work with at this point is:

2 blue hens
2 blue roos (each has a tiny bit of leakage that I may or may not decide to tolerate)
1 splash hen with a clean face
8 black hens who seem ok
8 black roos who seem ok

If I cull my only splash hen and my 2 blue roos with their leakage I am not left with much color diversity.

So my question on the splash hen is - is this some bizarre genetic throw back that will likely not show up in her offspring as long as daddy has a good muff and beard. OR will at least half her offspring have clean faces? How did it even happen in a long line of purebred birds?

With only black roos, 8 black hens, and 2 blue hens I feel like I am going to have an overwhelmingly majority black flock and I really want a great variety. What would you do to get the most variety with the least faults? Thank you for any help! I am very new to breeding :)

I'd cull her and your Roos. The leakage will get worse as I've seen with my roo after I have it away, sadly.

She could possibly pass down her clean face to other chicks and then you have a real problem. You may not have a diverse flock this round, but you will and until then, you can keep and sell to a family flock that don't mind leakage.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, I sure wish I could take him. I want Blue and/or Lavender Ameraucanas. I just don't have any place to put him right now. I close on the new house on September 1. Then I can work on the coop/tractor & Run. So probably won't be ready till close to the new year! )-;

Where are you located? I have a 3 month old blue who is turning out nicely. We are weirdly favoring our black. We're near MO so O just wondered.

Where are you located? I have a 3 month old blue who is turning out nicely. We are weirdly favoring our black. We're near MO so O just wondered.

I am moving to the southeastern side. Perhaps a bit far but perhaps we could figure something out. BTW, do you happen to know or go to any good chicken swaps/sales anywhere northeast of you, do you? Maybe we could meet there? I'm going to the small animal swap in Jacob's Cave, MO., OCT 1-4 this fall. I can hardly wait. :D

-RANT- Agh I am so angry,Because my sisters dumb dwarf goats killed one of my blue AM roosters ( which I have FEW of to choose from) by ramming it to death and FLATTENING IT.
Another thing tht ticks me off is she got mad at me because I bought my chickens, saying that she had the goat pen first and that I knew that, NO, she was trying to sell her goats when I got my chicks. And plus I BUILT that goat pen for my chickens ducks and goats ( I don't even hve a goat anymore do to preexisting neurological problems resulting in sudden death of my beloved Nubian ) her goats keep trying to eat my chicken feed too. So I've been keeping my chickens cooped up in a small dog cage, well they can't live like that and they need room so I was gonna move the cage inside ( it's fricking heavy too so I can't move it by myself) the goat pen and just feed the chicks at night, well can't do that now because her dumb goats, now I have to build an additional fence separating the two.
I know this is pettie but I'm ticked about it. Why do I keep having to change stuff for my chickens that I set up for them because my OLDER sister ( 28 freaking years old, I'm 18) want what I've built because it's nice?!

Back
Top Bottom