Blue and Lavender Ice genetics?

Got a reply!

" Matings of Blue x Blue or Blue x Lavender typically result in offspring of both Blue and Lavender. Lavender x Lavender results in Lavender offspring."

I hope I get two blues or one of each
smile.png

Aineheartsyou - is that your reply from Holderreads?

Thats means a Blue is heterozygous for the Blue gene (allele) and a Lavander is homozygous for the Blue gene.

Well done you've managed to solve this question and discussion
fl.gif

pete55 wrote

"Now if the grey goose inherited a Blue gene from each parent then it would be Homozygous for the Blue gene and its genetic code for blue could be written as Bl, Bl. It has a pair of Blue genes. One allele occupying a locus on a gene from the father and one allele occupying a locus on a gene inherited from the mother. As the bird has a pair of Blue genes then the full visual effect of the Blue gene is realised and the bird appears as an even lighter blue.

Think of it as; if one blue gene changes a Grey bird to a visual Blue, then the effect of an additional Blue gene changes a Blue bird to an even lighter colour sometimes refered to as a Silver (or is this Lavander)!"

I had suspected this as I wrote earlier and it appears that Lavander is not the result of interaction between the blue and buff genes. Im sure others may contribute to the discussion.

Pete
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Now I remember correctly! Thanks for posting the reply. When picking between the blue and the lavender americans, I chose blue because I remembered I could get lavender from breeding a pair of blue. I just couldn't remember what happened when you bred lavender and blue. I do hope you get at least one blue because they are beautiful! The two goslings I got this spring are now 6 weeks old and their plumage is starting to show beautiful shades of blue. They have been a real treat to have. The other ducklings that they were shipped with follow them around. The gander is the leader. The adult ducks stay clear of them as they are almost the same height.

Hi! I have 6 goslings from Holderread that I just adore! They are Blue and Lavender Ice pairs. They are about two weeks old and adorable! You will love them! They follow me everywhere...
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am so excited! they were scheduled to ship this week, so that means today! So if everything goes according to plan they might be here tomorrow evening or thursday morning for sure!
ya.gif

Quote:
pictures please?? I got a bargain assortment and pretty sure i have 2 blue and 2 lavender ice. My bonus is an embden, I think. I'll post pics later tonight but would LOVE to see your guys. thanks!!!!

Sure, I'll post pictures as soon as I take some more. They grow sooooo fast in two weeks!
big_smile.png

Holderread has the BEST!!!

Ok, I came across this thread and my interests were sparked. I bought a pair of American Buffs from Dave Holderread along with a pair of giant white Embdens. My Embden goose paired up with the American Buff Gander. 2 years ago I let them hatch out a clutch. Every one of the offspring were Lavender.

Back
Top Bottom