Blue Australorp not laying

Orit

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My Blue Australorp is now 25 weeks and she has still not laid an egg. Could there be a problem? I have read that they usually begin laying at 16 - 18 weeks. I've been patiently waiting (and also checking the bushes to see if she's been secretly laying). While I have you, my blue-laced Wyandotte is the same age and also hasn't started laying. The other 2 that are the same age (Speckled-Sussex and Easter Egger) started laying a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering why the Blue Australorp and Wyandotte haven't started.

My Blue Australorp is now 25 weeks and she has still not laid an egg. Could there be a problem? I have read that they usually begin laying at 16 - 18 weeks. I've been patiently waiting (and also checking the bushes to see if she's been secretly laying). While I have you, my blue-laced Wyandotte is the same age and also hasn't started laying. The other 2 that are the same age (Speckled-Sussex and Easter Egger) started laying a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering why the Blue Australorp and Wyandotte haven't started.
What's your crew eating? Layer, all flock, oyster shell available? I know that sometimes some hens will take way longer than others to lay. Different breeds lay at different times. I think I just read someone had a hen lay her first egg at 29 weeks. You may just need to be patient.

I know that sometimes some hens will take way longer than others to lay. Different breeds lay at different times. I think I just read someone had a hen lay her first egg at 29 weeks. You may just need to be patient.
x2. Even with the same breeds, you may see a variance in when they lay, as each bird matures at a slightly different rate. Also with days growing shorter, that can delay onset of laying as well.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Black Australorp, EE, Welsummer & Barnevelder that are all 25 weeks and none are laying. I also have a 29 wk old Dark Brahma that hasn't started laying either. I'm just assuming it was the 3 week heatwave that delayed the egg factory, lol

I have Australorps. All mine started laying between 24-28 weeks. I was expecting sooner, but it didn't happen until then. Good thing, out of my six current layers I am getting 5-6 eggs a day. They were even laying in the 107 degree weather we had here this summer and two went broody during that time so we got to add to our flock and give one cockerel to a friend who was looking for a rooster. :)

I'm in the same boat. I have a Black Australorp, EE, Welsummer & Barnevelder that are all 25 weeks and none are laying. I also have a 29 wk old Dark Brahma that hasn't started laying either. I'm just assuming it was the 3 week heatwave that delayed the egg factory, lol
I wanted to see if your BA started laying yet? All of my earlier mentioned girls are still freeloading (no eggs), ncluding the now 33 week old Brahma. It's killing me, lol

Back
Top Bottom