BLUE AUSTRALORPS, HOW IS IT DONE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by huppfarm, Oct 18, 2008.

1. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

howdy, i understand the blue australorp is somewhat rare according to the folks in australia.
    why are they rare, is it hard to breed that color in/
    how is it done?
    can i create a blue here in america?
    thank you for your time
    chet
    please contact me by email
    [email protected]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    howdy Hupp, welcome to the forum.

if you succeed I want one! [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't think it would be that difficult. There are always extra Blue Orp roos floating around. Grab one up and match him to a bunch of black aussies and go from there. It should come together rather easily. Australorps are not that far (genetically) from a standard orpington.

Jody

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I don't think it would be that difficult. There are always extra Blue Orp roos floating around. Grab one up and match him to a bunch of black aussies and go from there. It should come together rather easily. Australorps are not that far (genetically) from a standard orpington.

I agree completely. It should be fairly simple.​

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I second that motion and I am certain that is what the Aussies did back in those days! Go for it! I would not mind having some Blue Australorps for egg layings

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Hello Hupp and [​IMG] if you do produce any blue australorps please let me buy one well maybe two. Thanks

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I basically second what every one else has said. Get a blue or splash orp rooster and order some australorp pullets from a hatchery and cross them. Simply keep the blue roosters and cross them to australorp hens and keep the blue females and cross them back to a black australorp rooster. This project could only take a couple years if done right.

8. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    We must have the same last names huppfarm [​IMG]

9. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

im sure we are related, all my dads family come from ohio, marietta, mansfield, lexington,perrysville, elba. we have quite the history. look up the duck creek story in hupp history. thats my direct ancestors there.
    nice to meet you cuz!
    what breeds of chickens you raise?
    i am the greelee county 4-H poultry project leader in duncan arizona.
    i used to raise all types of poultry, but im down to just standard australorps now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by