Blue Bell the silkie; he or she?

deco

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
Washington Co, PA
So I bought 3 silkies locally from a really great old guy who is crazy about them. I have the sneaking suspicion that Blue Bell, unlike her sisters Deco and Queenie Puff Puff might be a dude.
I spent the morning diving into silkie sexing topics in the forum but I am still not sure. Maybe she is just ugly? Thoughts my fine chicken loving friends?

ETA: She/he is around 7 months old.

112086_screen_shot_2012-01-01_at_22523_pm.png

112086_screen_shot_2012-01-01_at_22619_pm.png

112086_screen_shot_2012-01-01_at_22534_pm.png

With our Russian Orloff Storm

112086_screen_shot_2012-01-01_at_22603_pm.png

Charles the pug needs to know!

Thanks friends!

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Sure looks like streamers to me, which means roo. Silkies are so hard to sex, though. Give it a little longer.

My vote is roo.

I think my suspicions have been confirmed. I knew there was something different about "her". This evening "she" was downright aggressive too, when I was trying to handle one of the other silkies. She is the only chicken that has pecked me out of our 13.

Hmm. It looks to have streamers, but hardly any comb..... but then, the comb is pretty pink.
Sorry, but i'd have to say boy on this one, but that's not for sure.
wink.png

Hard to tell. Could be a hatchery quality silkie pullet with a bad attitude. 'Her' comb and wattles are smaller than my 4 month old silkie pullet's were and her tail isn't extremely roo-ish. I had a blue silkie pullet that looked and acted more like a boy than yours at 4 months but she was just the dominant hen and hatchery quality (which I found out after I gave her back). I'd say hatchery quality pullet but you never can tell for sure with silkies
wink.png

'She' could just be a late blooming boy so if s/he starts developing a big red comb and wattles you have a boy.

Last edited:
If these are recent pictures and Blue Bell is around 7 months old - then its a pullet. Why? because the comb is VERY small, even my hens have a bigger comb that your girl does...ALSO she appears to be beardless or nearly beardless, and beardless silkies even the girls get wattles, but small ones, and they usually don't bloom till they start to lay...So if this is a 6+ month old beardless silkie - its either a girl for sure or a SUPER late bloomer boy....Beardless silkies are much easier to sex than bearded, because they get noticeable wattle growth, especially the boys...But I say shes just a 'hatchery' type silkie. I have some hatchery girls who have a very slicked back small crest, but are mean arse hens who are the best broody mamas.

I see absolutely nothing in this bird that says boy to me, except what I'm figuring everyone is thinking the crest's slicked back look are streamers, and the pink in the comb...but pink combs is pretty common in hatchery offspring, and silkies aren't supposed to have pink/yellow skin...if it was a male at 7 months I'd expect it to be turning red in this bird.

Last edited:
It does look like a cockerel would at about 4 months old.... however I see you say it is about 7 months old. The comb is usually a lot bigger by that time. That's a tough one but I'd lean toward pullet if the age is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom