Blue Berry Turkey sick ...what could it be?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I have a blue slate hen who is close to a year old, not sure exact age.
- has not layed an egg yet
- eats a mix of turkey grower,chicken layer, seeds, sweet feed(what horses drop) and free range

- has been off food, hides in corner of yard, not as friendly or as interested in us (very abnormal behavior for her)and does not want to be held, depressed but still interested in surroundings and perches at night

- poo looks yellow egg like, watery and w/green
- has consumed some cook and raw egg over few days
- has been going on 4 or 5 days now that she acting strangly
- no other symptoms, no colds, no panting, no sqatting etc.
Eyes clear, nose clear, color a little pale.

I have moved her in the house with water and food that she has picked at some.
I would like to treat myself

Any ideas?

Perhaps you can take a fecal sample to the vet to see if she has cocci or worms. The test results, if any are present, will let you know the type of worms so you can get the right wormer for the job.

I would act fast. I know once my turkeys start showing symptoms they should be treated asap. I remember Blueberry -- I think you had some awesome pics of her on here a while back. Best of luck.

I would do online research -- Your description could be several illnesses (cocci? worms? ?) and Your bird does not necessarily have blackhead, but I found this info online -- maybe you can see if the poo fits this description:

The symptoms of blackhead are quite distinctive, but the name is misleading in that the head of the bird does not always turn dark.

The first symptoms are not specific but are suggestive of blackhead. The birds stand with their heads tilted downward or drawn to the body. Their feathers are ruffled; their wings droop. Their eyes are partly closed. At first the birds are alert when they are disturbed but they quickly become indifferent if they are seriously ill. Young birds may die within two or three days after the first signs of illness, but older birds may suffer for several days before dying or starting a slow recovery. In wild turkeys in Michigan, the disease does not appear as an epidemic, but rather is diagnosed in occasional individuals. The passage of thin, sulphur-colored droppings is characteristic of blackhead, but the disease is well advanced in turkeys before this is conspicuous; this does not often appear as a symptom in chickens. The period of incubation after contact with infection is 15 to 21 days.

and I found this:

Blackhead Symptoms
Birds develop foamy yellow diarrhoea and sit huddled up
They appear depressed and ill
They stop eating and get very thin
Increased thirst
Droopiness
Drowsiness
Darkening of the facial region
The birds can be so ill, that their wattle and comb goes blue (thus the name blackhead)
If not treated the birds usually die
Any sulphur coloured foamy droppings should be considered as blackhead, even if the bird is not showing any other signs of the disease
Blackhead acts as an immune suppressor, which will allow other diseases to have greater effect on your bird’s health
It may cause stunted growth, poor feed utilization and then death

Last edited:
I've treated her w/ Acidified copper sulfate in her water for now, until I can buy some Safeguard/Panacure tomorrow. I had some, can't find it anywhere. She is still alert, not droopy or holding her neck funny, but still has egg yolk yellow poo. She is drinking and pecking at stuff. Any other suggestions? Keep your fingers crossed for me.
fl.gif

Talked with a friend of mine that has delt with all types of fowl for years, thinks it's coccidia so I'm dosing with the corid, since she did not drink any of the water last night.
Her poo is bright yellow, like cooked egg.

Back
Top Bottom