Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Chicks

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
The eggs I hatched from Tuffoldhen have given me some pretty blue, black and splash orpington chicks. These chicks will be 5 weeks old on Friday and have outgrown my brooders. I had no choice but to go ahead and put them out in the barn with a 250 watt red heat lamp. They are big for heir age.

The 4 blues are really pretty -

blue1-1.jpg

blue2-1.jpg

blue3-1.jpg

blue4-1.jpg

There are 2 splash but this is the only one I could get a clear photo of -

splash1.jpg

Here is a group shot of their color. Really pretty shades -

bluegroup1.jpg

Notice the brahma/blue orp cross in this photo -

bluegroup2.jpg

Isn't the barring (?) in her feathering just the prettiest thing? I really like it.

brahmablueorpcross.jpg

There are 3 blacks - The first one is sitting on my husband arm - really plump little thing!

black1-1.jpg

black2.jpg

This one did not want to have a picture made -

black3.jpg

TOH, I am VERY pleased with these chicks! Thank you for the eggs!

Nice chicks you sound like you are adding to your breeding program from everywhere and it should be extreamly strong soon.

Henry

Very pretty chicks MissPrissy.

I wouldn't worry about them out in the barn. I've had to move quite a few of mine out earlier than I'd like due to space needs. They've been out in a brooder area in my coop with heat lamp when it's been in the 20's at night.

Last edited:
They really didn't have that awkward sparse feathering period. I love how fluffy they are this early. They are very strong and active chicks.

Lovely babies, Priss! You're right, these don't have quite the awkward stage that most chicks do, unless you get an extremely slow feathering cockerel like Suede was, but that is over very quickly. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom