Blue Breeders *Cynthia* Question

I was just previewing F. B. Hutt's Genetics of the Fowl: The Classic Guide to Chicken Genetics and Poultry Breeding on Amazon earlier today. The book is going for $44.95. I was told that this is basically the Bible on poutry genetics. I soooo want one! It's like a candy store between two covers for me.
big_smile.png
I just need to convince my DH that it's a worthwhile investment.

hu.gif
Now I'm confused. I was told by Silkie breeder to breed Splash and Blues together to keep a more vibrant color on the Splashes. From you all are saying though is that if I breed a Splash and a Blue I will get all blues?? Am I reading that correctly??

Oh good...I just got really confused. Genetics does that to me.
roll.png

I just went back and reread this thread...I have no idea where I got that idea. Lol sometimes I'm just dense!

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is with splashes is that they keep getting lighter with each new generation, to the point that they may appear white or a silvery white with little streaks of pale blue infused throughout. I have a couple of birds that in two generations had gotten this way. What your breeder is probably suggesting is that in order to keep your splashes from appearing too white, you should breed blues to your splashes, because breeding splash to splash will lighten the color too much.

You need to decide too if black lacing is important to you. You will loose black lacing if you use a splash/black cross to create your blue. Breeding back to blue even in a bird with lacing will not get it back for you so sadly we are stuck with the 25% blue we get out of the black/blue cross in Orpingtons anyway. Polish, EE and silkies don't have the requirement for lacing it seems.

Back
Top Bottom