Blue Breeders *Cynthia* Question

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
I read on a European forum that if you breed a black roo (originally from a blue bird) to a Splash hen you will get all blue offspring. Can this be right? Just curious.

Adam

Wow. I thought the blue rule applied to all (blue black splash).
So if you don't mind me asking why not keep a black roo and splash hens so that you get more blue offspring?

Many people do that. I guess I could have done that, but the only black cockerel I've ever hatched (except if the one in my brooder is a boy) wasn't what I wanted. Suede was much better looking than the black one, who had one eye that was a bit droopy, and such a gorgeous shade of blue, that he was my choice out of that batch. BUT, I've never managed to hatch a splash hen, only cockerels.

I'll try to simplify it for you:

Black is represented as E and has two copies of the gene (EE). Blue is an incomplete dominate, so you only need one copy of the gene to make a blue bird. The bird will have two copies of the black gene (EE) and one copy of the blue gene (Bl). A splash has two copies of the blue gene (BlBl) along with the black, so it is more dilute in color. When you breed a black bird to a splash one, all the off spring will have only one copy of the blue gene.

With BLR's, it's recommended that you use only blue roosters with splash hens to keep from getting any blacks, or vice versa. Black laced isn't a desirable outcome for this color.

Last edited:
WOW Blisschick I love you! It makes sense! I get it!

Cyn, Sorry your black cockerel had a droopy eye. But even if he had not who could resist Suede's charm!

Last edited:
Cyn, I found 1. They were asking $600 for it. Ummm, no, thank you.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom