Blue button quail eggs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TimBaumann, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    My button quail started laying not long ago and the first egg I've found was blue! Now I found a secret nest full of eggs-most blue and a few brownish with tiny dots!! Every button quail egg I have ever seen was brown/green with brown spots! The one (or two) quail that laid the eggs are completely white! I don't know if I have two females or one but the thing I want to know if it's normal to lay blue eggs like this or if it's just the white quail? [​IMG]
    Nest 1
    [​IMG]
    Nest 2

2. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Mine lay lots of different colors! I only have five girls and each one usually calls after laying so i know generally who lays which egg. My tuxedo girls lay blue, blue/green, and light brown eggs. My very dark blue face girl lays dark brown and sometimes purple eggs!

I think it partially depends on what the quail are eating. I noticed the eggs got darker when i added spirulina to my feed, got greener after the girls got fresh kale, etc.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    gorabbit is right it depends on the diet. mine only lays brown speckled eggs but then I just have the single pair.

4. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Ok thanks! Then I'll keep on feeding them what I have been because I really like this color! [​IMG]

5. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    TimBaumann may I ask what you are feeding your quail?

6. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I feed them chick starter. They also get the budgie seed that my budgies drop, mealworms, hard boiled egg (and shell) and fresh fruits and vegetables! I wish I could get them some game bird feed like you get in America but I have never seen it anywhere here in Namibia.

1 person likes this.
  7. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    do you have turkey feed? it is pretty much the same.

8. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I'll look for that! Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by