Blue button quail eggs!

TimBaumann

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Namibia
My button quail started laying not long ago and the first egg I've found was blue! Now I found a secret nest full of eggs-most blue and a few brownish with tiny dots!! Every button quail egg I have ever seen was brown/green with brown spots! The one (or two) quail that laid the eggs are completely white! I don't know if I have two females or one but the thing I want to know if it's normal to lay blue eggs like this or if it's just the white quail?
Nest 1

Nest 2

Mine lay lots of different colors! I only have five girls and each one usually calls after laying so i know generally who lays which egg. My tuxedo girls lay blue, blue/green, and light brown eggs. My very dark blue face girl lays dark brown and sometimes purple eggs!

I think it partially depends on what the quail are eating. I noticed the eggs got darker when i added spirulina to my feed, got greener after the girls got fresh kale, etc.

Ok thanks! Then I'll keep on feeding them what I have been because I really like this color!
smile.png

I feed them chick starter. They also get the budgie seed that my budgies drop, mealworms, hard boiled egg (and shell) and fresh fruits and vegetables! I wish I could get them some game bird feed like you get in America but I have never seen it anywhere here in Namibia.

I feed them chick starter. They also get the budgie seed that my budgies drop, mealworms, hard boiled egg (and shell) and fresh fruits and vegetables! I wish I could get them some game bird feed like you get in America but I have never seen it anywhere here in Namibia.
Sounds like you're doing great without it. A lot of times it's out of stock here so I will get a layer hen crumble and add mealworms and egg yolk for the protein.

Back
Top Bottom