Blue Cochin or brahma? 2 week old chick we hatched

Polish chick is clean legged
this sentence made it sound like it had feathers on it's legs...The only one Harmony had hatch out of the whites was that one gold laced polish chick... the feathering is very limited compared to the other feather footed ones in there too!

i would guess if your talking about body feathering and it's the same age as the others then it's a cockerel...just a guess

I type too fast : (
here are those chicks day old! AND BELOW is the only POLISH white egg to hatch... no feathers...
LL

I think the confusion here is that the second picture in the original post is a bit unclear. It does look like the chick has feathering on the legs. Is this just a trick of the camera?

If so, then things make so much more sense now. The first bird in the most recent post is a cochin, the second is a polish.

I think the confusion here is that the second picture in the original post is a bit unclear. It does look like the chick has feathering on the legs. Is this just a trick of the camera?

If so, then things make so much more sense now. The first bird in the most recent post is a cochin, the second is a polish.
why would the feathering diminish as it has? its only been two weeks think they pick on each other? there are 25+ in the brooder
But we built a larger brooder after a few days! I hope they dont have disease or anything!! the partridge brahma have alot of feathering though!
4.5' x 3'

Below is a pic of the one half, they venture over to the other side too!

why would the feathering diminish as it has? its only been two weeks think they pick on each other? there are 25+ in the brooder
But we built a larger brooder after a few days! I hope they dont have disease or anything!! the partridge brahma have alot of feathering though!
4.5' x 3'

Below is a pic of the one half, they venture over to the other side too!

This is becoming very confusing. We can't help you unless you are able to answer our questions.

These are the same two chicks first pics at 1/2 days and the following at two weeks old, both have feathering on feet, more so at early date.... ADDING ~ THEY BOTH HAVE FEATHERING on FEET see the day old pics below

Last edited:
This HOWEVER is from a WHITE polish egg....
it is the only POLISH white egg to hatch... no feathers on feet...
LL

These are the same two chicks first pics at 1/2 days and the following at two weeks old, both have feathering on feet, more so at early date.... ADDING ~ THEY BOTH HAVE FEATHERING on FEET see the day old pics below

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

The first chick is definitely a Blue or Lavendar Cochin, and the second is definitely a Cochin mix. They are probably losing their feathers from others picking at them. You may want to try adding a red light to the brooder instead of a yellow light, that can limit picking behavior.

Back
Top Bottom