Blue Cochin

Grammy Jodi

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Troy, Ohio
Well...my BlueBelle...is now BlueRay! Hahaha. I just saw HIM doing the courtship dance to one of my “known” hens. I was for sure he was a she as early as yesterday. I also witnessed him attempting to crow all within about 30 seconds of his side-stomping courtship dance. Dang it! I soooo wanted him to be a her. And wouldn’t you figure because I “just today” picked up 6 other Roos from being processed. Errr!

Attachments

• A24D4ADE-5B1A-4F8D-9F82-A6A3070B6F40.jpeg
    A24D4ADE-5B1A-4F8D-9F82-A6A3070B6F40.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 20
He has a ton of male feathers.... he looks nothing like a female version..
I agree. For anyone with a blue bird like that when you get the darker blue feathers down the back its a male. Females only get darker blue on the head and neck.
So even when you don't know exactly what you're looking for with hackle and saddle feathers where that darker blue is will be a dead give away

I agree. For anyone with a blue bird like that when you get the darker blue feathers down the back its a male. Females only get darker blue on the head and neck.
So even when you don't know exactly what you're looking for with hackle and saddle feathers where that darker blue is will be a dead give away
Thank you for that explanation. I may have been a chicken momma for several years now, but I’m learning more about other breeds. I’ve been used to barnyard mixes, so I don’t really know much about pure breds. Again, thank you for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom