10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Rhode Island Red, 9-10 months, normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

See picture below. Comb and wattles are now blue.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I noticed this approximately 2-3 days ago, however the comb went back to red within a few hours.....next day back to blue and has been blue since.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Chicken has been molting for a month or two, but otherwise appears fine. Most of the pinfeathers are now regular feathers.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No idea. Considered cold weather and molting, however no other chickens, even those with larger combs, have this problem...and another chicken in similar molting condition is just fine with a red comb.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Eating normally, on flockraiser, layena pellets, scratch and leftovers for treats.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Unknown. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but she is with a large flock so no way of knowing which is hers...having said that, I do not see any abnormal droppings.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None so far.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Can isolate if needed, will treat myself if necessary, no vet care.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

See picture below.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Secure Coop for nighttime that has pine shavings, during the day chickens are given free run of 1/2 acre yard that has grass, clover, fallen leaves, trees, bushes, gravel, etc etc etc. Same living conditions for last 6 months.

24277_bluestew.jpg

Sidenote, this is the same chicken as in my avatar picture.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom