Blue Comb - should I be worried?

3ChicksAnd1Dude

Hatching
Jan 24, 2024
Hello! I'm a newer backyard chicken owner. I've appreciated reading other peoples posts as they've helped me raise my own chickens. I have one that has odd coring in her comb. I noticed a white line in the middle 2 weeks ago, and now the top half is blue. It has been colder here, so initially I thought it might be frostbite. I've kept them on the heated coop to help that. However, now she has soupy poops and seems to be losing a lite weight. No eggs (but that typical in winter). She still walks around and eats just fine. Aby insight would be appreciated. Photo attached showing her comb.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpeg
    IMG_0332.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
How warm is the coop? Heat inside a coop can get them used to warmer temperatures, where they may not be able to tolerate the cold if they go outside or if the electric fails. If she is too hot, she might be drinking more water which could lead to runny poops.

How warm is the coop? Heat inside a coop can get them used to warmer temperatures, where they may not be able to tolerate the cold if they go outside or if the electric fails. If she is too hot, she might be drinking more water which could lead to runny poops.
Good point. I have an elevated wooden coop. The larger portion is unheated and the smaller nesting boxes have headed floor pads so they can nestle in when cold and be on the non-heated portion when warm. They like to run around outside and on the coop roof during the day. I've never had cold climate adjustment issues in the past (this bird is 2 1/2) but maybe there's something I'm not factoring in…

Yes, that is a frostbitten comb. No question. Leave it alone and she will heal in time. No massaging or creams/ointments. Just try to make sure that she is eating and drinking. Some probiotics in her food might help her poops.
Okay, thanks. I was going to try a warm cloth and vaseline, but I'll leave it alone. Any recommmendarions on the probiotics?

Back
Top Bottom