Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
How likely are these Blue Splash Copper Marans to go broody? My Bunny hasn't been laying very long, Jan 29, 2013 was her first egg, but she's been hanging out in the nest box extra long time after she lays and puffing up/screeching when I go near to get her egg. For such a quiet dainty girl - she's rather frightening when she sounds like a velociraptor.

How likely are these Blue Splash Copper Marans to go broody? My Bunny hasn't been laying very long, Jan 29, 2013 was her first egg, but she's been hanging out in the nest box extra long time after she lays and puffing up/screeching when I go near to get her egg. For such a quiet dainty girl - she's rather frightening when she sounds like a velociraptor.
All of the Marans females I have ever had went Broody at the snap of a finger.

I noticed that this thread started with a discussion of using black copper and splash to make blue's. I saw the pics of Gilavina's Luella and I decided that she has the best coloring i have ever seen... really awesome...

SO: I have 3 blue pullets right now, varying levels of blueness, They are all blue coppers but not expressing the copper color. I have several eggs due to hatch this week so maybe there will be a boy in there or maybe some that will express the copper (fingers crossed).

I also have some nice black coppers boys and girls..

What steps should I take to darken the blues that I have? i saw that Don said to use a blue male over a black copper female but that this was a last ditch effort (or at least that's what I understood from the posts).

I can post pics of the ones i have but maybe this is a more theoretical question than just looking at the birds?

I'm brand new to raising chickens. This website has been loads of help! I started my journey with 2 blue copper marans and one splash marans chicks. They're about 8-9 wks old now, and I heard the very first attempt at a crow this morning!! Somewhat pathetic sounding, but awesome!! Thanks to everybody with questions, and answers. I've learned much from reading everybody's posts.

Yeah! Just found this thread. I've only got the one blue copper male, and not sure if he's good enough for breeding. I'd love to know where you guys got your original stock from, or if you know of anyone selling quality blue coppers, I'd love to get several females.

How likely are these Blue Splash Copper Marans to go broody?  My Bunny hasn't been laying very long, Jan 29, 2013 was her first egg, but she's been hanging out in the nest box extra long time after she lays and puffing up/screeching when I go near to get her egg.  For such a quiet dainty girl - she's rather frightening when she sounds like a velociraptor.

Bunny sounds completely normal to me and is doing what alot of layers do after they give you an egg. I have a couple of hens that do the same thing, they like to linger for a long while after they lay. They squawk a bit when I reach in to take the egg, but after it is gone, they usually don't stay on the nest too much longer and they are right back outside partying with their friends.
You will know she is broody when she refuses to leave the nest box........you might even find her sitting steadfast on nothing at all trying to be broody and she will puff up and hiss and squawk and she will mean it when she is broody. Oh and be careful...broodies can be very protective with their weapon of choice, the beak. I had a Welsummer hen that pecked me so hard once that she broke skin and it was dang sore for several days. My Marans are pretty easy going broodies, but they will still let you know they are not happy about my messing around under them and being nosey.

Don~ Have you experienced very young broodies? Like a bird that just started laying and then all of sudden goes broody? If so, how do they do as mothers being so young? And do they set good like an old veteran broody?
I have not experienced young broodies, seems like mine like to have atleast a year of laying under their belts before they try.

Don~ Have you experienced very young broodies? Like a bird that just started laying and then all of sudden goes broody? If so, how do they do as mothers being so young? And do they set good like an old veteran broody?
I have not experienced young broodies, seems like mine like to have atleast a year of laying under their belts before they try.

Kim, Never any young broodies here, does seem like when one goes broody they all are ready.

Back
Top Bottom