Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Ok, im asking two questions:
1-Does this look like a blue copper maran?
2-Is it a pullet?

The bird in question is the one in FRONT of the olive egger roo (mix of blue copper and EE im told)

these brown feathers in the saddle area worry me the most. they are more pointy than all my other pullets/hens. The lady i bought her from says she is a pullet,,,im worried.

she has a little coloring in her breast area also but NOTHING near to her hatchmates that are mostly for SURE roos.
thanks
Hi, This is a young male and it has Blue copper coloring. Notice he has no apparent leg feathering.

Ok, im asking two questions:
1-Does this look like a blue copper maran?
2-Is it a pullet?

The bird in question is the one in FRONT of the olive egger roo (mix of blue copper and EE im told)

these brown feathers in the saddle area worry me the most. they are more pointy than all my other pullets/hens. The lady i bought her from says she is a pullet,,,im worried.

she has a little coloring in her breast area also but NOTHING near to her hatchmates that are mostly for SURE roos.
thanks

Sorry... the bird in question is looking rooish to me.
Those saddle feathers look like some are coming in colored and pointy, not round. Big red comb and wattles.

Hi All!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Wanted to pop by and see what's new. I have 4 Black Copper pullets and 1 Blue Copper pullet from DMRippy that should start laying any day now! I am getting very excited to finally start receiving some eggs. I finally got that Black Copper male that I produced for my best friend back to use for a while. He is out of my Blue Copper male, Lil' Bill. I still have the one and only Blue Copper hen who survived the mountain lion, but of course she had go into a hard because I have a male to use. :rolleyes: :lol:

Be well fellow Marans lovers!

Hi All!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Wanted to pop by and see what's new. I have 4 Black Copper pullets and 1 Blue Copper pullet from DMRippy that should start laying any day now! I am getting very excited to finally start receiving some eggs. I finally got that Black Copper male that I produced for my best friend back to use for a while. He is out of my Blue Copper male, Lil' Bill. I still have the one and only Blue Copper hen who survived the mountain lion, but of course she had go into a hard because I have a male to use.
roll.png
lol.png

Be well fellow Marans lovers!
Hi Kim, good to hear from you. Everything has been real slow on here lately. I only raised a very few Marans here this year. We had hatched eggs from six breeders last year and they were mostly culls, these were from people that were showing and winning. Maybe this fall we can hatch a few to work with. Good to see you back.

Hi, I suppose we are all waiting for new eggs?
Here's some pullet eggs to share; one hen torpedo.

There's one in the back row from my new Black Copper Marans.
The rest are olive eggers and cream legbars.

Hi, I suppose we are all waiting for new eggs? Here's some pullet eggs to share; one hen torpedo. There's one in the back row from my new Black Copper Marans. The rest are olive eggers and cream legbars. .
Wow, that is quite a collection. I'll bet the torpedo is a triple yolker!! What poor chicken laid that one?

Hi Kim, good to hear from you. Everything has been real slow on here lately. I only raised a very few Marans here this year. We had hatched eggs from six breeders last year and they were mostly culls, these were from people that were showing and winning. Maybe this fall we can hatch a few to work with. Good to see you back.

Great to see both of you on here. All of us lurkers miss reading your posts.

Wow, that is quite a collection. I'll bet the torpedo is a triple yolker!! What poor chicken laid that one?
Hi, that is her normal spotted single yolk egg =) I just saved that one because of the pattern.
She is a Crested Cream Legbar x Crele Penedesenca mix.

The dark olive front center is a Copper Marans x Cream Legbar mix. Poor guy has just been waiting for some FBCM hens to join him. I think I might have some good candidates.

Last edited:
Great to see both of you on here. All of us lurkers miss reading your posts.
Rexy - popping in to your conversation to mention I have family in Melbourne. I really enjoy my visits to Australia. Wondering what area you live in more or less?

Also, before they let you off of the international flight, there's a form asking if you've brought anything with feathers to Australia and how close you've been to chickens lately.
It must be extremely difficult to import chickens to Australia? Do you know where your stock originated from?

Rexy - popping in to your conversation to mention I have family in Melbourne.  I really enjoy my visits to Australia.  Wondering what area you live in more or less?

Also, before they let you off of the international flight, there's a form asking if you've brought anything with feathers to Australia and how close you've been to chickens lately.  
It must be extremely difficult to import chickens to Australia?  Do you know where your stock originated from?

Hi sol2go. I live in South East Queensland. the land of the perfect weather!!!

It certainly is very difficult to import chickens into Australia, costing a huge amount of money. There was an attempt to do a large import from the UK last year, or maybe earlier this year. It entails quarantining the parent birds in the UK, testing for all sorts of diseases, collecting the eggs. Importing the said eggs into Australia, or in this case, island off Australia, hatching in a quarantine station, then raising the chicks in the quarantine station to about 2 months, and further testing for everything, before they can be released. In this case, one or two of the chickens were tested positive to salmonella (which may or may not be already present in backyard chickens, depending who you listen to), and then everything was retested. Before they were all destroyed. People had paid, I think $3000 to receive 5 chickens in the breed they put their name down for. At the moment, a private company has, I think, successfully completed an import, and birds may be available from that in 12months or so.

There are many stories about the origin of Marans, but they have been here for some time, in the hands of a couple of breeders, before gaining popularity in recent years. Most birds can be traced back to 2 breeders. Not exactly genetic diversity.

Back
Top Bottom