blue copper maran, gender??

Sorry for the thread hijack but I'm trying to hear maran experts' opinion before I unload my blue copper maran for being the wrong sex:

This is my 8 week blue copper maran. Is it a boy? And why does it seem so much bigger than the other one in this thread? I hatched it on Saturday June 18 2016. 8 weeks, 3 days ago. :/

This is a rooster, and he's not a blue copper. That color coming through isn't copper, it looks silver. I'm thinking there was some Birchen in the mix, giving that color. So sadly, he's not even good breeding stock for someone else.

This is a rooster, and he's not a blue copper. That color coming through isn't copper, it looks silver. I'm thinking there was some Birchen in the mix, giving that color. So sadly, he's not even good breeding stock for someone else.

Donrae! I am so glad you posted this! I got half of them as hatching ultra-rare fertile eggs from MPC, so I don't think they are mixed breed.

However:

In the set of four that hatched there were a Black Copper Marans & a Blue Copper Marans, A Blue Birchen Copper Egger, and a Cuckoo Bluebar. Are you thinking what I am thinking?

My pretty boy must actually be the Blue Birchen Copper Egger! If that's true, then "Pecker," the pullet that I originally thought was a Blue Birchen Copper Egger girl, is actually a Blue Copper Maran girl!!!

Here is a photo of Pecker today-- what do you think? I would be thrilled if she's a Blue Maran and I just got the two mixed up when they were both grey fluffy chicks! Pecker is 8+ weeks:

Blue Copper Maran pullet?? :D

Yep! She's your blue copper, you can see the nice copper coming on around her collar. And a pullet to boot, not a bad deal
smile.png

I'm glad it worked out that way. It's always kind of a thing telling someone their bird isn't what they thought it was, especially with not-so-common breeds. Some folks get pretty upset....glad this was a planned kind of thing.

Yep! She's your blue copper, you can see the nice copper coming on around her collar. And a pullet to boot, not a bad deal
smile.png

I'm glad it worked out that way. It's always kind of a thing telling someone their bird isn't what they thought it was, especially with not-so-common breeds. Some folks get pretty upset....glad this was a planned kind of thing.

This definitely worked out for me, thank you again!! I'm so glad I'll still have a maran. She's got the prettiest feathers. She's the naughtiest one to catch when I need to get them in the pen on short notice. I will miss my BBCE boy--he is a really good boy (for now). Sigh. Very glad you spoke up, Donrae.

Yes, it does look much older than mine! This one I posted is now at 11 weeks. still no saddle feathers. AND no copper ring around the neck. could it be that I was played as well?? the Lady I got it from is supposedly very reputable, I'm slightly frustrated. HOWEVER: everyone still vote ROO?

Yes, it does look much older than mine! This one I posted is now at 11 weeks. still no saddle feathers. AND no copper ring around the neck. could it be that I was played as well?? the Lady I got it from is supposedly very reputable, I'm slightly frustrated. HOWEVER: everyone still vote ROO?

Yep, rooster. that much red this young tells the tale.

Not all birds have the correct copper coloring. I had a solid blue rooster

He had very mossy coloring but no copper.

I'm not sure if your bird is a pure Marans. No feathered legs (not a deal breaker, but unusual). I'm not sure if there's white skin under the overlay.

I have 2 blue Maran. One was stunted from eating some great stuff I think. Her new name is blue girl $155 due to my vet bill LOL. I'm not sure on the gender of the larger one. Not sure exactly how old they are. 8-10 weeks maybe. Any guesses?

Last edited:
They look like pullets to me. But I'm no expert. My two are giving me a hard time! They are 14 weeks and I still cannot be certain. No tell tail signs of Roos except very red comb on one.

I have 2 blue Maran. One was stunted from eating some great stuff I think. Her new name is blue girl $155 due to my vet bill LOL. I'm not sure on the gender of the larger one. Not sure exactly how old they are. 8 weeks maybe. Any guesses?

These look like pullets.

Back
Top Bottom