Blue Egg Layer

hebertchick12

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Raceland, LA
I was SUPER excited to see my first Ameraucauna in the nesting box. I watched and waited... hoping for a blue egg. And much to my disappointment, it was light brown... almost pink. Her eggs look like my RIR eggs when they first started laying. We have another younger Ameraucana. I desperately want some blue eggs... What are the odds that an Ameraucana (or Easter Egger) doesn't have the blue gene. Should I try to get my hands on some Cream Legbars?

There is no shortage of Ameraucana/Easter Eggers in my area... but cream legbars are very hard to come by.

I was SUPER excited to see my first Ameraucauna in the nesting box. I watched and waited... hoping for a blue egg. And much to my disappointment, it was light brown... almost pink. Her eggs look like my RIR eggs when they first started laying. We have another younger Ameraucana. I desperately want some blue eggs... What are the odds that an Ameraucana (or Easter Egger) doesn't have the blue gene. Should I try to get my hands on some Cream Legbars?

There is no shortage of Ameraucana/Easter Eggers in my area... but cream legbars are very hard to come by.
Well, your bird is an Easter Egger (even that would be debated by some who would classify her strictly as "mixed breed" since she does not produce colored eggs and there are some camps that believe EE is a title to be given ONLY to those mixed breed birds who do produce blue/green eggs) - and the odds with that depend on the breeding used to create them. Does your bird have facial feathering? Does your bird have a pea comb?

I would suggest posting photos of both your EEs.

If you want no chance of not having blue eggs, your best bet is to get a purebred specimen of one of the blue laying breeds.

Last edited:

Ol Grey Mare is correct, you have Easter Eggers and they lay "multi-colored" eggs, but not necessarily really blue ones. I have a strain of EE's that do lay bright blue eggs, but could not be shown as Ameracaunas. Their eggs are also small, as are the birds, not quite bantam, but definitely not LF sized. There is just so much variation in the EE's due to all the indiscriminate breeding.

If you want really blue eggs, find a breeder that breeds for that. CCL's, (true) Ameracaunas or the University of Arkansas Blues all are reliable blue egg producers. If you can't find a local breeder with good stock, you could try buying eggs and incubating them yourself. Expect to pay $3 - 5 per egg for a good strain of blue egg layers, and none may hatch, so it's a big risk, but one worth taking if you really want blue eggs.

Don't buy chicks from a commercial hatchery, even if they say the eggs are blue, you'll just get more of what you have now.

Back
Top Bottom