Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have legbars, amaraucanas, araucanas, and blue egg layers and so far the blue egg layers out lay the others with the lagbars next and the the amaraucanas and lastly the araucanas
when you have a bird that is mostly leghorn, the outcome of such a breeding effort is expected to outlay many many breeds, not only blue eggers

I didn't really see it as negative. More along the lines of constructive criticism.

Whether the eggs should have a "glossy" finish or a "matte" finish is definitely something to consider.

I like the "matte" look. I like it in my paintings as well! ;)

Look at that! I can get things right once in awhile.

woot.gif

Candled tonight. Looks like I have the start of internal pipping. Finally...only 3 days late...

The entire hatch was 3 days late. I have a feeling the temps in the basement got fairly low and slowed down the growth of the embryos.

Not much to it. Genetically there is only three colors of eggs. White, brown or blue. Selection can enhance the expression of the traits like the darker brown eggs in Marans. Still just a brown egg gene but those birds deposit more brown pigment than others. The blue is dominant over the white but mixes with the brown to produce the the greenish eggs often seen in ameraucanas. There is no gene for green it's just a mix of brown and blue. Certainly no gene for chickens to lay pink eggs. Just three color genes, white, brown or blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom