Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The California Gray is sexable at birth like barred rocks.
I have read the California Gray thread and have not totally come to that conclusion. However I am assuming this to be true. My question is more in regards to the mixing of U of A blue with the California Gray and the potential of keeping the blue egg and being auto sexing.

Quote:
I also believe the grays are good producers, more so than Cream Legbars, you could add their barring gene to the blue egger and produce, Barred or blue barred blue eggers that could be autosexing too, thatt is if you concider the Barred Rock to be autosexing, the males having two copies of the barring gene will dilute their down a few shades lighter than the females, you can use this as autosexing trait.. OR you could also cross a blue egger rooster with a California Gray hen and produce sexlinks, the females will also inherit the blue egg shell gene from mother and the cross will also generate some Hybrid Vigor, making egg production better than the average of both breeds

I got my first egg yesterday and today from my first SBEL from the CCL sire and they are a NICE PURE Blue. I put them next to the new CCL pullet eggs and they CCL eggs look almost GREEN in comparison.

I will try to add a pic in a minute from my phone.

Sorry I couldn't put it in the post above. Pics from my phone are not easy to load on BYC.

The SBEL is in the middle and the other 2 are from my new CCL pullets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom