Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:
I understand blue breeding but I thought there was a DIFFERENT BLUE at work here in the UofA Blue's. I thought it breed true..... Blue x Blue only gave BLUE. I know I read that back when this thread started..... maybe they were misinformed about the blue thing.

Whiting Farms DOES NOT have these. He introduced something into his that causes the chipmunk effect in chicks. These hatch as the normal Blue/Black/Splash.

So happy these are being reproduced. Our flock is still small after some losses this winter. We are going to test some breeding by breeding back to a commercial White Leghorn. Jahdan (12) got some UofA eggs this last December and hatched a few commercial White Leghorns. This should add some new blood yet preserve the egg color.

When we said it breeds true.... it breeds true as the B/B/S genetics go and breeds a true egg color.

Since these are not the same as what Whiting has now made available, this is a distinct and separate breed to anything else. Thus why the best name for these may well be what we have been referring them to as.... Arkansas Blue.

P.S. I am sort of back. Its been a long year or so. My health is better and life events has been much better!

Last edited:
Actually, the good doctor has several lines of birds. Including wild-type as well as blue and black.

On a side note, can't wait! A seller is able to send about 6 dozen eggs this way! Yay!!

Actually, the good doctor has several lines of birds. Including wild-type as well as blue and black.

On a side note, can't wait! A seller is able to send about 6 dozen eggs this way! Yay!!

I talked to Paul Whiting on the phone and he had his blue egg layers at the UofA and worked with them there. They may not be the same as ours but they may have been used to make them.

The point is kind of moot since Whiting is a fly tying company not a poultry business. You have to go to his place and pick them up. It is too far for me to drive there.

You'd be surprised what you can find with a bit of research. He bred the fly tying birds himself. He sells them from his property as well. I would say from that alone he would be no different than any of us saying we were in the poultry business. Although I would hazard a guess that he is much more knowledgeable than any of us in the genetics of poultry.

You'd be surprised what you can find with a bit of research. He bred the fly tying birds himself. He sells them from his property as well. I would say from that alone he would be no different than any of us saying we were in the poultry business. Although I would hazard a guess that he is much more knowledgeable than any of us in the genetics of poultry.
thumbsup.gif
Absolutely

he.gif
I am in denial because I really want to get chickens form him!

He has many great breeds, is an amazing breeder of poultry--to get the feathers for his fly tying business. Paul has connections with most of the Major Poultry programs in the US. He has visited with the poultry folks here and UC Davis too.

If I was closer to him I would be getting his Green layers too.

:thumbsup Absolutely

:he   I am in denial because I really want to get chickens form him!

He has many great breeds, is an amazing breeder of poultry--to get the feathers for his fly tying business. Paul has connections with most of the Major Poultry programs in the US. He has visited with the poultry folks here and UC Davis too.

If I was closer to him I would be getting his Green layers too.

Tell us about his green layers please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom