Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, too much to worry about in the northern area that I live in. I will also be getting some of the legbars to use in this project just to help out some. A close friend has developed a line of production black/cuckoo leghorn type birds that lay blue eggs that I plan to cross with some light brown leghorns. This will result in a crele looking bird but from there the plan is to take the best rose combed crele hens and mate them to a nice rose combed light brown leghorn rooster to get sexlinks which would all be light brown but the cockerels would have the barring (crele) and the hens would be normal light brown. From there I could continue mating them back to light brown leghorns to improve type.

Shoot, since there are many singled combed blue egg layers out there that have broken the link between pea combs and blue eggs (these leghorns, my friends strain, legbars), it is only a matter of time before people start making blue egg laying polish and rocks and everything else. I know there are lines of minorcas, silkies, phoenix, sumatra, and other long tails out there that have blue egg laying strains.

I'm so glad I found this thread -- it's very interesting. I've been thinking of crossing Ameraucanas and RC Leghorns -- it would produce a cushion comb for my North Dakota climate and blue eggs. I really love my Chanteclers and their comb for the north.

Becky

Banjoe,
Any results? I'm very curious about these. I would love to get ahold of a few of both types when they become available. Unfortunately my grandson who lives with me is too young for 4-H.

I havn't been paying attention but did anyone post of pic of the blue eggs these birds lay? I am curious to see what they look like.

Lanae

I havn't been paying attention but did anyone post of pic of the blue eggs these birds lay? I am curious to see what they look like.

Lanae

I didn't think to get a picture of the eggs, but I can tell you they are a blue egg. Not green or any other color.
Dr. Bramwell said that they used Araucana and not Ameraucana to produce these layers.

These are super cool I want some!!!
big_smile.png

These are super cool I want some!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:

Lanae

Here are the actual U?A eggs in our incubator hatching this week! and the adult birds at the U/A research farm.

hi i have 10 UofA blues chicks that i pulled out of the bator here are some pics

I didn't think to get a picture of the eggs, but I can tell you they are a blue egg. Not green or any other color.
Dr. Bramwell said that they used Araucana and not Ameraucana to produce these layers.
Quick question. There is a breeder close to me that has Mille Fleur Leghorns and rumpless and tufted and non tufted Araucanas. Would you get something like these if you bred them? What is the best Rooster and hen combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom